Matt Potter 12:01 p.m., April 16
Sloppy seconds? Ken Scott gets another shot at his high concept
Perhaps the ultimate example of making an indie film in order to break into Hollywood
Hey, did you see the sperm-donor comedy Starbuck? Probably not - it made just $335,000 in the States, and received middling reviews. But hey, it managed to do $1.6 million worldwide! And you know what else it managed to do? Convince the suits at Dreamworks to let writer director Ken Scott make the same damn film a second time just two years after the original, but this time starring Vince Vaughn as the lovable loser/super-semen-sharer instead of Patrick Huard.
Suddenly, it all makes sense?
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Drinking Buddies, Closed Circuit and more — Aug. 30, 2013
- New movie releases this week: Storm Surfers 3D, The Wolverine and more — July 26, 2013
- New releases opening this week: Before Midnight, The Matchmaker, and more — May 31, 2013
- New releases opening this week: Star Trek Into Darkness, The Iceman — May 17, 2013
- Consumer's guide to finding movie reviews in The Reader — March 1, 2013