Vincent Farnsworth 6:31 p.m., Dec. 4
Dead movie theatres: Downtown Los Angeles edition
Sunday morning found me roaming the streets of downtown Los Angeles. Don't ask. Better 9:30am than 9:30pm, right?
Here amidst the gold buyers, Quinceanera dressmakers, pawnshops, and Starbucks outlets stand the shells of what used to be some of the mightiest movie palaces on earth. What Broadway must have looked like in the '40's. You probably needed sunglasses at night to avoid neon blindness.
The 2,200 seat Los Angeles Theatre appears to be the only one of the bunch that's still in operation.
More like this:
- Hold that lion: a pictorial history of the MGM logo — June 27, 2013
- **L@@K** RARE VINTAGE RETRO CLASSIC OZU WIFE-BEATER T-SHIRT - CHEAP **L@@K** — June 18, 2013
- Happy Flag Day! — June 14, 2013
- A gallery of 33 vintage posters from Hollywood's Golden Age of cartoons — June 12, 2013
- Go tell it on the mountain: a pictorial history of the Paramount logo — May 6, 2013