• Big Screen alerts

WAAAAAAAA! There's "eventually going to be an implosion in the film industry."

WAAAAAAAA! Lincoln was 'this close' to going to HBO.

WAAAAAAAA! We barely got (Red Tails) into theaters.

I'm disgusted with the two of you's!

Can we say chutzpah? The jokers responsible for Hollywood's blockbuster mentality -- that's trashed every summer at the movies since the boys first swapped hits in the late '70's -- cinema as a babysitter for 9-year-olds boys, and the multiplexing of America, all in the name of staggered showtimes, are now whining about having put themselves out of work.

Lucas and Spielberg were on hand to cut the ribbon at the opening of the USC School of Cinematic Arts' new Interactive Media Building. Spielberg foresees a time in a galaxy not-so far away where this 'one hit defines a season' mentality is going to backfire. ""That's the big danger," Steve told the crowd, "and there's eventually going to be an implosion — or a big meltdown. There's going to be an implosion where three or four or maybe even a half-dozen megabudget movies are going to go crashing into the ground, and that's going to change the paradigm."

Paradigm? Where does Steve come off using that word? To money-honeyed Spielberg, a paradigm only amounts to twenty-cents.

George referred to cable television as "much more adventurous" than film nowadays. It is, if all you have to show for yourself is crap like Red Tails. If cable is that much bolder, than stay there. Live in it. Can't wait for Here Comes Honey Boo Boo and the Ewoks.

Lucas actually had the audacity to bemoan the high cost of making and marketing movies for the masses. Go reap what you stole from Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, the film he 'borrowed' the storyline from (if not the vision) when penning his series of space operas.

And do you want to know why Red Tails had difficulty getting made? Because Lucas was the only one who saw any vision in his facile vanity project. Tuskegee Star Wars is a thoughtless, pandering, crashingly dull piece of storytelling, a CG 'documentary' recreation completely void of verisimilitude. It deserved a worse fate at the box office than the one it received.

They also addressed the future of video games-z-z-z-z-z. Read more here if you can stomach it.

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

dwbat June 13, 2013 @ 9:04 a.m.

Will we next hear from zillionaire Bill Gates, whining because PC users hate that piece-of-crap Windows 8? Or Warren Buffet saying it costs too much to maintain the tracks for BNSF railroad he owns? And let's take up a collection for Rupert Murdoch because News Corp. had to pay out millions in the phone-hacking scandal. Such pain to be a billionaire. Oh, the humanity!

FatCatSegat June 13, 2013 @ 9:57 a.m.

Hey there you heartless beast! It's really not that easy to be rich. It took me an hour to decide which one of my 500 silk shirts to wear and jeez, the tie selection was even more difficult! Horizontal, vertical, I mean these are important decisions. Forget what car I'll drive today, I'm better off choosing colors! I might have to actually spend some time at my office today, I think I left my favorite cigar cutter there last night. So you go and enjoy your cushy middle class life while I have to make another decision, yes Margarita, put the 1700 thread count on the bed and you may keep the soiled ones. I'm very generous too!

Scott Marks June 13, 2013 @ 12:41 p.m.

Alright, alright! You've convinced me. I'll say 10 Hail Martys and watch "Hook" for my penance.

Matthew Lickona June 13, 2013 @ 2:41 p.m.

My Red Tails review still reads right to me, and yet I gave the thing two stars? I LOOK IN THE REAR-VIEW MIRROR AND I DON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE WHAT I SEE.

SJV June 13, 2013 @ 5:43 p.m.

From now on I'll just pass out on the floor when someone mentions hour-long cable dramas in my immediate 3-foot radius. For instance last week, Co-worker" "Did you see what Don Draper/Walt White/Sprano did last night?" Me: "NARCOLEPSY!!! 3,2,1!!!zzzzzzz"

Scott Marks June 13, 2013 @ 8:15 p.m.

I watch "Boardwalk Empire" because, well, you know why. And I wait for the DVD release. You'll never catch me paying for HBO.

None

Ghost_of_dolores_hope June 14, 2013 @ 11:26 a.m.

I won't buy HBO on cable, but I enjoy Game of Thrones and Girls a lot on DVD. For free of course, from the library.

Ghost_of_dolores_hope June 14, 2013 @ 11:30 a.m.

Never could get into The Sopranos, though. HBO's Luck with Dustin Hoffman was barely watchable, gave up real quick on that one. Still haven't seen Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire and I think I'll skip Entourage.

Scott Marks June 14, 2013 @ 12:41 p.m.

I liked "The Sopranos" when they called it "Goodfellas." And you have to check out "Boardwalk Empire." It's Him!

Scott Marks June 14, 2013 @ 2:13 p.m.

May the Force be with you!

WHAT AM I SAYING?!?