Various Authors 9:18 p.m., Feb. 7
Pacino is Paterno in new DePalma flick?
When was the last time anyone was excited over the promise of a new Brian DePalma film?
Carlito's Way celebrates its twentieth anniversary this year.
Just when the statute of limitations was about to run out comes word that DePalma (Carrie, Body Double) will reunite with Carlito (and Scarface) star Al Pacino for Happy Valley, a biopic of disgraced Penn State head football coach, Joe Paterno.
Deadline New York reports producer Edward R. Pressman has optioned Joe Posnanski's bestselling biography, Paterno, and Dave McKenna (American History X and Blow) is close to signing a deal to write the script.
Pacino and DePalma do great things together, but the actor would not have been my first choice to play pedophile-enabler Paterno. Yes, Al has the nose, height, and age lines, but isn't Joe Pesci the right man for the job? With just a little latex added to the proboscis and a pair of over-sized Swifty Lazar specs, Pesci would make a swell Paterno substitute.
As for who should play defensive coordinator/"horsing around" aficionado, Jerry Sandusky, Schlitzie is sadly no longer with us, but actor/director Garry Marshall (Lost in America, Georgia Rule) could sure use a hit.
More like this:
- The Carpeteria: A brief pictorial tribute to Joe Pesci's 'hair' — July 8, 2013
- Clean slate: A brief pictorial tribute to the clapboard — June 17, 2013
- Filner takes on the La Mesa sewage spill! — Jan. 22, 2013
- Bob Filner, stand-up guy — Jan. 11, 2013
- Prep Kitchen Little Italy: 2012 was a very good year... — Jan. 7, 2013