• Big Screen alerts

For those wondering what the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile has to do with The Big Screen movie blog, the phallic roadster has appeared in two features, Ladybugs with Rodney Dangerfield and the Gene Wilder/Richard Pryor "comedy," Another You. Happy?

Now that I've justified the entry...

I was 6 years old and — with the exception of a few viewings of The Wizard of Oz under my belt — had no personal exposure to little people.

Little Oscar and his "wife," Sonia, were scheduled to make a personal appearance at Chicago's Eagle Food Store located at the corner of Thorndale and Broadway.

Who knew from Oscar Mayer hot dogs, or as my mother used to call them, traif dreck? I was raised on a steady diet of kosher-style Vienna Red Hots complete with a snap-casing and green relish, the color of which does not exist in nature.

The Wienermobile was afforded rock star placement in the supermarket parking lot. Little Oscar and Sonia were waiting to greet customers inside next to the refrigerated foods section. For whatever reason, the sight of a full-grown man who was a head shorter than I freaked me out. I wouldn't even shake the little feller's hand.

There was a bright side: everyone in line was given a souvenir Oscar Mayer Wiener Whistle. What would Freud have said about the finger-handling?

None

With the exception of an occasional Oscar Mayer Smokie Link (which are next to impossible to find) it wasn't until OM began making 100% beef (not pork) wieners that I felt it safe to ignore my mother's warning and give them a try. The franks make a tasty substitute for the generally cost-prohibitive Hebrew National or Nathan's Hot Dogs.

Little Oscar and Sonia have long been replaced by Jessica Barndt and Theresa Brenner, the two Hotdoggers piloting the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile all across the country. Here is a complete list of stops they'll be making in the San Diego area.

Sat. 1/19 11am - 4pm: Safeway, 11986 Bernardo Plaza Dr., San Diego

Sun. 1/20 11am - 4pm: Safeway, 3645 Midway Dr., San Diego

Wed. 1/23 12pm - 5pm: Albertson’s, 2707 Via De La Valle, Del Mar

Thurs. 1/24 12pm - 5pm: Albertson’s, 7895 Highland Village Pl., San Diego

Fri. 1/25 11am - 1pm: Albertson’s, 543 Sweetwater Rd., Spring Valley

Fri. 1/25 2pm - 5pm: Albertson’s, 1608 Broadway St., El Cajon

Sat. 1/26 12pm - 5pm: Albertson’s, 7660 El Camino Real, Carlsbad

Sun. 1/27 11am - 1pm: Albertson’s, 9560 Winter Gardens Blvd., Lakeside

Sun. 1/27 2pm - 5pm: Albertson’s, 9870 Magnolia Ave., Santee

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

Libra10352 Jan. 17, 2013 @ 11:11 a.m.

OMG!! I'm so glad ur coming to our town, I really want my grandson to see The Wienermobile, I seen it when I was a kid & my kids got to see it, time for the next generation to see it. Oh & I remember little Oscar to, now my grand kids can get a whistle. Love it.

Scott Marks Jan. 17, 2013 @ 12:02 p.m.

I'm not sure, but political correctness -- coupled with the tiny toy's potential to block a toddler's windpipe -- may have rendered Wiener Whistles obsolete. Still, it will be cool to get a picture of the grandkids standing beside the cultural icon.

Colonna Jan. 17, 2013 @ 1:39 p.m.

You can't find Oscar Mayer smoky links anywhere anymore: discontinued.

Summer, 1976. My family and I awoke one morning and decided to take in a ball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago. We were so excited and in such a rush that we skipped breakfast, opting for some fine cuisine from the ballpark.

By the time we got through Chicago rush hour traffic, finding a place to park the car, schlepping all of our seat cushions, windbreakers, baseball mitts, etc., we had gone almost half a day without food. My seven year old stomach was pleading and begging for food.

We finally find our seats and wait for the food vendors. Nothing. We eventually trek under the stands and find the first open booth serving food. It was an Oscar Mayer smoky link stand.

My dad passed around the links to five hungry kids and each one devoured the strange, brown, smoky meat. Except me. One bite (which was spit out thoroughly and completely) was one bite too much.

I eventually got the taste out of my mouth three innings later with a Frosty Malt (another Wrigley Field speciality).

And this isn't the first time the Wienermobile has made an appearance at The Big Screen. I posted these pix back in May of last year:

SaunieInDiego Jan. 19, 2013 @ 11:23 a.m.

im gonna finally see the wienermobile! Whoopee!

Rocketjay Jan. 21, 2013 @ 2:41 p.m.

I grew up in Chicago ,not only the home of Oscar Mayer Meat Co., but also attended Oscar F. Mayer grade school in the 1960's, named after the meat company founder(seriously!). Needless to say, the Weinermobile frequently made stops by our school and handed out the Weiner whistles. Back in the late 1970's I went to Disneyland in Anaheim and my sister and I saw the Weinermobile and the Little Oscar we remembered from our childhood. His name was George Molchan and when we told him we remembered him from Mayer school he greeted us warmly as if we were old friends and posed for pictures with us. Even as adults we were thrilled to see George and enjoyed recalling those simpler happy times from the past.

Rocketjay Jan. 21, 2013 @ 2:52 p.m.

Boy, I wish I could still find Oscar Mayer smoky links. They were the only thing I enjoyed about going to Wrigley Field to see the Cubs lose.