Dorian Hargrove 6:30 p.m., Sept. 1
Dept. of supercuts we'd like to see
In a more perfect world, supercuts would find their way into the screenwriting collective unconscious, so that cliches such as "we've got company," "no time to explain," and perhaps most importantly, "you just don't get it, do you?" would disappear from film forever. (Did anybody else wince when Skyfall actually made Dame Judi Densch rasp out a version of that last one?)
Watching the trailer for Gangster Squad yesterday, it struck me that I've heard variations on the bad-guy staple "You will beg for death before I am finished" once too often. It's a terrifying thought, sure - suffering so intense that death seems a welcome relief. But as every preacher knows, even the threat of eternal hellfire loses some of its punch if you bust it out too often.
Anyway, it'd be fun to see a supercut of villains delivering that line, and who knows? It might even do some good.
More like this:
- Trailer Park: Bullet to the Head — Jan. 30, 2013
- A closer look at the red-band trailers for InAPPropriate Comedy and Movie 43 — Jan. 7, 2013
- A closer look at the trailer for Gangster Squad... — Jan. 2, 2013
- The Internet Giveth? — March 28, 2012
- A Sidelong Look at the Trailer for The Hobbit — Dec. 21, 2011