Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., April 25
New releases opening this week
Jude Law thinks back on the days when he would have gotten the Channing Tatum role.
You guys, Side Effects is a really good piece of modern film noir. The torturous recesses of the human heart, the unseemly grease on the wheels of justice, the virtue of keeping your head instead of drawing a gun - all on full display, unobscured by spectacle or noble quest. I didn't love all of Soderbergh's final-act foray into genre pics, but this is a good note to go out on. On which to go out? HOW DO I ESCAPE THE PREPOSITION?
Sorry about that.
You guys, Identity Thief is a terrible piece of modern high-concept comedy. No more need be said, except that it's sad to see Jason Bateman go to waste again, and I had no idea Scott hated Chris Farley so much.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: The Act of Killing, In A World... and more — Aug. 16, 2013
- New releases opening this week — March 1, 2013
- This week's new releases — Jan. 25, 2013
- Opening this week — Oct. 12, 2012
- Danny Baldwin Rates the Cinépolis Experience — Aug. 12, 2011