• Big Screen alerts

Given the twittering hubbub made over Hollywood's latest casting choice, you would think that Ben Affleck had committed murder, not been chosen to replace Christian Bale in the next Batman movie.

What's the matter, widdle fanboys? Did big bad Warner Bros. take away your caped crusader? Grow a set of balls! Do you think I liked it when the networks tried to bewitch viewers by pulling the old Dick York/Dick Sargent switcheroo? I lived. It took months to compose myself after John Williams became the substitute Mr. French on Family Affair. It was tough, but time wounds all heals. Roberto Benigni instead of Peter Sellers? Okay, that last decision was unclean, but you get my point.

Hollywood will always let you down. Get used to it. Whatever nugget of gold there is to be mined from an original idea will be turned to iron, man, by studio alchemists.

The headlines should have screamed, "OH, MY GOD! THEY GAVE ZACK SNYDER ANOTHER BUDGET!"

• Big Screen alerts

More like this:

Comments

shirleyberan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:25 a.m.

Liked the movie "Hollywoodland" with him and Adrian Brody. Maybe he's too old to play the superman part. The new one is going to be called Batman vs Superman? That'll get the kids bouncing in their theater seats.

shirleyberan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 11:38 a.m.

OK - I'm probably wrong about the title - I see why Zack isn't your favorite superhero..

shirleyberan Aug. 24, 2013 @ 12:07 p.m.

Speaking of Superheroes - where's any mention of MLKing's 50th Anniversary of "I Have A Dream"?

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 24, 2013 @ 3:04 p.m.

Talk about Michael Keaton deja vu - I worked at Comics Etc in Mira Mesa when that one came out, and THAT casting choice made ranting, raving mental cases out of most all our customers. Then they actually SAW the movie, and most everyone changed their mind.

In any event, I'll take anything over Nolan's Batman trilogy, whose wide popularity baffles me - when I read/hear all that praise for Heath's Joker, I feel like the whole world is playing a prank on me. Close your eyes, and Heath sounds like Adam Sandler (think Little Nicky). OPEN your eyes and he looks and sounds for all the world like Beetlejuice!

A quote of mine from an earlier Big Screen blog gets spread around movie fansites a lot and bear repeating here (IMHO) - when the Batfilms have been around as long as Bond, Christian Bale will be looked upon as the Roger Moore of the franchise, and Keaton the Connery....

None

Scott Marks Aug. 24, 2013 @ 6:35 p.m.

But with Keaton came glorified production designer Burton's childish scribbling and Nicholson's godawful mugging. I'm no fan of Nolan's reboot, but at least they held my interest. For me, Burton is almost as hard a sell as spielberg. Bale is a much better actor than Keaton, but I can't stand the BS metaphysical direction Nolan took. He can't write a third act to save his life. I think we can all agree that Clooney was bat guano, and casting Affleck is a move in the same direction.

None

Scott Marks Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:23 a.m.

I like(d) the guy. Next to Bale (and Adam West), he's the most gifted actor to don the cape and cowl. For a brief period, I thought Kilmer was going to be a major player, but he's kinda' evaporated.

SJV Aug. 25, 2013 @ 12:58 a.m.

I'm glad I heard this news here first. But for a guy like Affleck who has two (?) oscars what does he gain from this? What could he bring to this part that he didn't in "Daredevil"?

Scott Marks Aug. 25, 2013 @ 5:18 a.m.

What does he have to gain? The prestige (and money) that goes along with having a stake in a big Hollywood tent pole. That is, of course, unless it bombs, but even then the guy will survive and escape with a load of loot. If he loses he wins. And didn't he meet his wife while making a comic book movie? Maybe he's in the market for a new bride. ;)

shirleyberan Aug. 25, 2013 @ 10:25 a.m.

Have you seen his wife? He's not looking, He can puff up like a superhero, Bet he loves those roles, fulfilling to the kid in him (now has 3 kids - wasn't his wife some kind of crime stopper on TV?) He'd probably do it cheap for the thrill. Who's the arch enemy is the question. Gotta be somebody good.

Jay Allen Sanford Aug. 25, 2013 @ 3:04 p.m.

Bale is (usually) fantastic - aside from his turn in my fave rock movie Velvet Goldmine, he even made American Psycho and Reign of Fire watchable, two movies I otherwise never could have sat thru. The Nolan Batman movies, tho, try too hard to be "realistic" and set in the real world. To my mind, making a live action Batman movie means that virtually everything about the ridiculous fever-dream mythos of Batman requires a surreal otherworld setting and approach. Cue Tim Burton (before he became batshit crazy and went all M.Night on us) --