Ian Anderson 6 p.m., Nov. 21
Free movies of the week: Logomania
Given my penchant for posting hopelessly arcane logo quizzes, it's safe to say that I'm a sucker for studio "idents."
Last night I cracked open a Big!Lots find that's been parked on the DVD shelf for months. Somewhere in the inner-recesses of my mind lurked an image of a real-life torch-bearing Columbia Pictures lady jumping from her perch and running out of frame.
A return visit to The Mouse That Roared plastered a black hole that had been swirling inside my brain since childhood.
I was all of four when my dad took me to see it. Given the title, we both were expecting something along the lines of a Disney live-action comedy. It bored me then, but not enough to shell out $3.00 for a DVD copy over 50 years later.
Let's celebrate my latest archaeological discovery with a tribute to movie logos and the obsessive compulsive souls who spend hours assembling them for a worldwide audience on YouTube! Here are some of my favorite collections. I can listen to the MCA/Revue walk off jingle for hours, and now so will you!
More like this:
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz V: What is hidden in the snow, comes forth in the thaw — Dec. 27, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Mama — Sept. 14, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. — Sept. 10, 2012
- Branded: color me cautiously hopeful. — Sept. 6, 2012
- The Movie Studio Logo Quiz IV: The New Batch — Aug. 21, 2012