Ian Anderson 5 p.m., July 30
What's that you say? A love story about a couple who bond over a shared love of booze? Color me inebriated! Interested! I mean interested!
Really, though, what makes this trailer noteworthy is that it features not one, but two moments that would, in the hands of a lesser trailer editor, have merited, nay, guaranteed a record-scratch. But instead of taking the easy way out, the people behind Smashed rely instead on actor Aaron Paul's facial expressions. Ladies and gentlemen, we are all familiar with Spielberg face. But thanks to Mr. Paul's sterling work, we can now add Record-scratch face to the pantheon of cinematic expressions:
What is perhaps even more impressive is the trailer's refusal to simply re-use this expressionist masterpiece for the all-important end-of-trailer followup to the original record-scratch moment. Instead, they got Mr. Paul to stretch even further into the realm of comic surprise:
Truly, we live in glorious times.
More like this:
- A closer look at the trailer for Pacific Rim — Dec. 13, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Cloud Atlas — Oct. 18, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey — Sept. 20, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Mama — Sept. 14, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. — Sept. 10, 2012