Patrick Henderson 11:30 a.m., May 6
Thanksgiving, Danny Rose style
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. No dead trees in the living room or drunken revelers who can't keep down their green beer. You don't have to wait until page 28 in the Passover Haggadah before devouring the festival meal and the only presents exchanged are gifts of hugs and warm remembrances.
Thanksgiving is not an occasion for song. With the exception of Irving Berlin's I've Got Plenty to be Thankful For, you'd be hard-pressed to come up with another Turkey Day ditty.
It took hours of brain-racking research to compile last year's Top Ten "Turkey" Films to Help Combat the Effects of Drowsiness Brought on by the Tryptophan. (I purposely left out Plymouth Adventure. You suffer through it.)
Thanksgiving as a bracketing device in Woody Allen's Hannah and her Sisters made the list, but I completely overlooked Danny Rose's Swanson's shindig.
The post-dinner show can be a bring-down. There's always a televised sporting event to mar the otherwise festive holiday gathering. For you stupendous sportsophobes in the audience, why not bring a few select DVDs, find another TV in the house, and gather the kids together for a little Shemp, Spanky, and Bugs activity?
More like this:
- Streisand's finger of Guilt points at Monster-In-Law — Nov. 29, 2012
- Kealani’s Thanksgiving party, tonite! — Nov. 21, 2012
- A further look at the trailer for 21 & Over — Nov. 14, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for 21 & Over — Nov. 14, 2012
- Top Ten "Turkey" Films to Help Combat the Effects of Drowsiness Brought on by the Tryptophan — Nov. 23, 2011