Susan Luzzaro 6:32 p.m., March 16
Opening this week
It's Thanksgiving time, but who to thank? God? Does He even exist? Credit Life of Pi for even taking up the question, I suppose.
I guess we can be thankful for our freedoms as Americans, as protected from North Korean invaders by the good people over at Red Dawn.
Because you know what? Things don't end well for ungrateful people who chuck everything that's been given to them to pursue some dream of love. I haven't seen Anna Karenina, but I suspect that's sort of a theme in there.
And at the very least, we can be grateful we don't live in France, where they have trollish dudes popping out of the sewers, stealing their fashion models, and eating said models' hair, as evidenced in Holy Motors.
I do think, however, that it was a bit of a bad turn to pick Thanksgiving weekend for Rise of the Guardians, a movie featuring holiday mascots Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny but NOT Tom Turkey.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: The Act of Killing, In A World... and more — Aug. 16, 2013
- Opening this week — Jan. 4, 2013
- All films viewed in 2012 by star rating — Jan. 2, 2013
- Look out! — Nov. 21, 2012
- (More) Reviews! — June 24, 2011