Walter Mencken 6:15 p.m., Feb. 28
Chances are, were it not for David Copley I'd still be in Chicago.
It was due in part to Copley's generous donations that the Museum of Photographic Arts was able to move to a larger space in Balboa Park. When word got out that MoPA was looking for a film curator to spearhead it's brand new state-of-the-art movie theatre, it was former U-T film critic David Elliott who gave me the tip that eventually brought me to San Diego.
I owe him that much.
Copley died yesterday. His transplanted heart gave out and the Aston Martin he was driving crashed into a parked car. He was only 60.
More like this:
- Helen Copley foundation continues downward cash spiral — Jan. 14, 2014
- Peace Be With You Mr. Copley — May 6, 2013
- Copley foundation's steep fall from grace — Nov. 24, 2012
- David Copley, 60, dead in La Jolla car crash — Nov. 20, 2012
- The Rise and Fall of the Copley Press — Feb. 27, 2008