Don Bauder 10:30 p.m., July 24
Judy Garland's Oz dress fetches over the rainbow price at auction
The blue gingham dress that Dorothy Gale wore on her journey to Oz was sold to the highest bidder last weekend at Julien's Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery.
An unnamed Judy Garland fetishist forked over $480,000 — minus $143 for Martinizing and the removal of tobacco, liquor, and Toto stains. The shmate was reportedly also worn by the second Mr. Garland, Vincente Minnelli, on their wedding night.
According to THR, "Another version of Garland’s Oz dress, which was blue and cotton, fetched $910,000 in June 2011 at the Profiles in History auction in Calabasas, Calif. The actress wore that dress during the first two weeks of filming for the 1939 classic."
Mickey Rooney was unavailable for comment.
More like this:
- And the last Blockbuster rental is... — Nov. 14, 2013
- Casablanca piano sold at auction — Dec. 17, 2012
- Dig a Hole: Gone With the Wind Actress Ann Rutherford — June 12, 2012
- Orson Welles's Oscar for Citizen Kane Back on the Auction Block — Dec. 12, 2011
- Director Jill Godmilow Reads The Big Screen! — June 18, 2011