Dorian Hargrove 6:30 p.m., Sept. 1
Judy Garland's Oz dress fetches over the rainbow price at auction
The blue gingham dress that Dorothy Gale wore on her journey to Oz was sold to the highest bidder last weekend at Julien's Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery.
An unnamed Judy Garland fetishist forked over $480,000 — minus $143 for Martinizing and the removal of tobacco, liquor, and Toto stains. The shmate was reportedly also worn by the second Mr. Garland, Vincente Minnelli, on their wedding night.
According to THR, "Another version of Garland’s Oz dress, which was blue and cotton, fetched $910,000 in June 2011 at the Profiles in History auction in Calabasas, Calif. The actress wore that dress during the first two weeks of filming for the 1939 classic."
Mickey Rooney was unavailable for comment.
More like this:
- Classic preppy in La Jolla — Nov. 16, 2013
- Casablanca piano sold at auction — Dec. 17, 2012
- Title: Fiction Is Good for You. Read More. — May 10, 2007
- One of a Kind — Jan. 18, 2007
- He's Going to See My Bald Spots and Know I'm a Lunatic — Sept. 8, 2005