Billy Collins 10 p.m., March 12
Meet First Position Director Bess Kargman This Weekend at Landmark Hillcrest
John Rubio describes First Position as a film that follows "the lives of several aspiring ballet dancers from around the globe (ages 9 to 19) as they train for the Youth America Grand Prix, a prestigious dance competition in New York City that holds the potential for career stardom."
The documentary opens tomorrow at the Landmark Hillcrest and dance fans will have the chance to meet director Bess Kargman when she conducts a Q&A after the 7:20 pm shows on Friday and Saturday.
Local ballet aficionados are familiar with the Youth America Grand Prix, the world’s largest student ballet scholarship competition that awards over $250,000 annually in scholarships to leading dance schools worldwide. The 2012 semi-finals were held in San Diego January 27 - 29.
More like this:
- Opening this week — Nov. 9, 2012
- Paul Blevins to unleash True Love Zombie — Oct. 9, 2012
- Sarah Polley's Latest Sparks Interest in Godfather Prequel? — July 2, 2012
- First Position: Some Humanity, Not Hoop Dreams — May 16, 2012
- Review: Big Miracle — Feb. 3, 2012