Don Bauder 9:45 p.m., March 11
Soul Kitchen Transforms ArtPower! Into a Lofty Dinner and a Movie
ArtPower! once again lives up to its promise of "an eclectic mix of interactive film experiences" by offering this unique dinner and a movie event.
Acclaimed director Fatih Akın's boisterous "foodie comedy" Soul Kitchen will screen Thursday, April 12 at 7:00 p.m. As if cinema is not nutritious enough, they'll even thrown in a home-cooked meal!
Soul Kitchen tells the story of a down on his luck Greek-German restauranteur who tries to convert a ramshackle Hamburg diner into a happening spot. The gourmet chef he hires intimidates the hell out of the locals, but before long the in-crowd begins claiming it as their own.
Akin makes tremendous use of the industrial suburban setting. Producer Klaus Maeck told German-Films.de, “It is an area which is being developed by the city as an attractive place for artists and students to live. There are lots of canals, little houses and then industrial areas and there’s a very multicultural atmosphere. That exactly captures what our story is about.”
To compliment the feature, the dinner offerings consist of a Greek salad, German sausage, red jacket Potatoes, beer braised cabbage, and for dessert, Baklava. Drinks not included.
Tickets are $30 for film and food, and $8 if you want to skip the dinner and just see the movie.
Click for more information.
More like this:
- Art!Power presents Indian-flavored 'Foovie' in October — Sept. 20, 2013
- UCSD's ArtPower! Film Announces its 2012-2013 Series — Aug. 2, 2012
- UCSD's ArtPower! Screens Winter Story as Part of Their 21st Century Chinese Film Series — April 16, 2012
- ArtPower! Screens Liu Bingjian's Crying Woman Tonight — Feb. 2, 2012
- Three Films Selected by UCSD's ArtPower! Screen on PBS Shorts Showcase — Nov. 18, 2011