Don Bauder 4:37 p.m., Dec. 27
Midnight Madness Returns In Style to The Ken
You have to take the Spielberg and Rocky Horror with the good, but the schedule of midnight movies at The Ken is a terrific excuse to spend your weekends staying up late this summer.
True, there are Ninja Turtles, a lost crusade (and boys), and annoying MST3K clones to endure. Choose wisely (not Wiseau) and you'll find The Dude, John Carpenter's most undervalued entertainment, a Hitchcock masterwork (in 35mm!), and the granddaddy of all midnight movies, Pink Flamingos.
The biggest thrill is the San Diego theatrical premier of Kinji Fukasaku's Battle Royale. For those left starving for entertainment after viewing The Hunger Games, why not see the film it blatantly "borrows" from?
As MoPA's film curator, I placed many a call overseas to arrange a screening of Battle Royale. It was 2001 and the memory of the Columbine High School massacre burned strong. Fearing a rash of copycat killings, the distributor refused to allow Battle Royale to be screened in America. To the best of my knowledge, this is the film's first commercial booking in San Diego. (Taverns don't count!)
Tickets are only $8.50 and many of the films will screen in 35mm. Click for more information.
- Jun 22 & 23: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Jun 29 & 30: Battle Royale
- Jul 6 & 7: The Big Lebowski
- Jul 13 & 14: Rear Window
- Fri, Jul 20: The Room
- Sat, Jul 21: The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Jul 27 & 28: Pink Flamingos
- Aug 3 & 4: Big Trouble in Little China
- Aug 10 & 11: Drive
- Fri, Aug 17: The Lost Boys
- Sat, Aug 18: The Rocky Horror Picture Show, with live shadow cast Crazed Imaginations!
- Aug 24 & 25: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
More like this:
- Lost gems of the ‘60s: Gates to Paradise (1968) with Jenny Agutter, Pauline Challoner — Nov. 27, 2012
- Midnight Madness presents Indiana Jones — Aug. 22, 2012
- Rocky Horror Midnight Show — July 6, 2012
- Plenty to Yawn About as Midnight Movies Return to The Ken — Jan. 30, 2012
- Summer Means 35mm Midnight Movies at The Ken! — June 22, 2011