Brandon Hernández 9 a.m., Aug. 21
Prometheus: Let's Talk About David
What, did you think we were finished? [Yes, more spoilers.]
Okay, so let's suppose Peter Weyland wasn't delusional - that we really are the new gods, thanks to our ability to create super-lifelike androids like David:
But in that case, the question remains, who is Prometheus, and what does he steal?
Answer: no answer. David seems much more interested in the other great theme of Prometheus, the one articulated by David himself: "Doesn't everyone want their parents dead?"
It's pretty clear why Vickers wants Weyland dead. But why would David want his "parents" dead? Here's one hint:
In other words: if our existence is ultimately meaningless, or even if it's directed entirely toward the benefit of another, we might start to resent the gods who made it that way.
More like this:
- The Big Screen earns 4 spots on Reader's Top 12 of 2012 — Dec. 31, 2012
- They give us those nice bright colors! — Dec. 20, 2012
- Clint Eastwood does not want a free one. — Aug. 31, 2012
- Prometheus: Two More Possibilities — June 11, 2012
- Because you're never really enshrined in the Pantheon of Artistic Immortals until you've been parodied in a children's cartoon... — June 14, 2011