Jimi Olsen 7:30 p.m., Oct. 9
Bird's Surf Shed Screens New Taylor Steele Film
Bird's Surf Shed in Linda Vista is rapidly becoming a new haven for cinema in San Diego. After the success of the first International Surf Film Festival held there in May (and the crowds they are likely to draw when they premier Taylor Steele's Here and Now) it won't be long before Bird puts a wall down the center of the the half-circle Quonset hut and calls it a multiplex!
Shot on May 2, 2012, Here and Now crowd sourced more than 25 filmmakers and surfers asking them to work together by documenting the world of surfing in a single 24-hour period.
Nathan Myers, managing editor of Surfing magazine calls it, "an experiment in a whole new type of filmmaking only possible in this digital age. It was a very unique project. It is still unreleased, so this is the only place to see it.”
The sneak preview of the documentary will be held on August 4 as a fundraising event for PCI’s California Border Healthy Start Project. It screens at 7PM & 9PM at Bird’s Surf Shed, 1091 West Morena Boulevard. Special guest appearances include Junior World Champion Leila Hurst and movie producer Andy Slipka. They will be auctioning off items including a Hydroflex Surfboard and 2 round-trip tickets from Southwest Airlines.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 if you're 18 or under. Click for more information.
More like this:
- Interview: Pierce Kavanagh, San Diego Surf Film Festival co-founder — April 30, 2013
- SDAFF screens documentary Give Up Tomorrow tomorrow night at MoPA — Sept. 5, 2012
- Meet Pierce Kavanagh, Co-Founder of This Weekend's Inaugural San Diego Surf Film Festival — May 9, 2012
- Wrap Tefillin and Tortillas at Jews in Mexican Cinema Showcase — April 24, 2012
- San Diego's First International Surf Film Festival at Bird's Surf Shed — April 20, 2012