• Big Screen alerts

Image

You gotta' be kidding me. A television series based on Goodfellas coming to American Movie "Classics?" During their commercially-interrupted airings of Marty's 1990 masterwork, the profanity is either bleeped or replaced with something close, like "freaking" or "shoot." Why not go full-PC and call the new downsizing Good Fellows? It defeats the whole purpose!

AMC used to be tops. Remember when Bob Dorian was at the helm giving TNT and later TCM a little competition? Now, every time I tune in, AMC is more than likely showing a pan-and-scan copy of a direct-to-video Steven Seagal film. Why do stations like AMC and premium channels HBO and Showtime refuse to show the widescreen version of say The Great Escape, but see to it that their direct-to-cable offerings play in the letterbox format? And you pay for that privilege?! It's a form of madness.

The Hollywood Reporter confirms Nicholas Pileggi, writer of both Goodfellas and Wise Guys, the book it was based on, will executive produce. Wake up, Nick. Did Marty direct episodes of Alice? Of course not. Would Coppola turn The Godfather into a video game? Oh, yeah. The viticultural momo already did.

Pileggi has written three features. The two best were for Him. Isn't it a bit early to be falling back on your laurels by attempting to turn one of the great American gangster films into cable TV fodder? There was no indication of Marty having a hand in the project. Show a little respect, Nick, and try writing something new instead of regurgitating past glories in an arena that's frankly beneath you.

The cast has yet to be announced, but considering where it will run and who the target audience is, it will probably look something like this.

Image

(L to R) Ryan Seacrest, Hal Linden, Kevin James, and Jerry Mathers as "DeVito."

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

Mary Beth Abate Jan. 11, 2012 @ 9:28 a.m.

Maybe AMC can bring back a PC version of Deadwood while they're at it.

MattDW Jan. 11, 2012 @ 11:34 a.m.

They should make it about their teen years. Tommy's tag line could always be "Hendry got pinched."

It can't be any worse than Michael Imperioli's tequila commercials. Man, I sure hope that check had a lot of zeroes and cleared right away.

Scott Marks Jan. 11, 2012 @ 2:10 p.m.

They can't all be as good as this. It's available on DVD. There is nothing more soothing to my soul than hitting the A/B switch and listening to "It's been an hour" for hours. It's my mantra.

Matthew Lickona Jan. 11, 2012 @ 1:53 p.m.

Hey, I like Hal Linden. He's the rich man's Dennis Farina. But I like where you're going with GoodFellows. I'm envisioning moving the whole thing to 1880s New York City and calling it The Splendid Gentlemen. Great work on the image.

Scott Marks Jan. 11, 2012 @ 1:59 p.m.

We're in synch. My original thought was to go with Farina, but I found his face a little too recognizable and went with the more arcane of the two. BTW, Hal Linden has his roots in the great tradition of the American theatre. Just ask him.

Colonna Jan. 12, 2012 @ 3:05 a.m.

Why not? AMC took "The Prisoner", Patrick McGoohan's amazing 17 episode TV show, and turned it into a two part mini series. I haven't watched AMC for nearly 10 years - when they started adding commercials to Three Stooges shorts, it was time to bolt.

Curious as you mention "The Godfather" video game - I'm working on a project about it.

Shortly before his death and despite needing an oxygen mask to breathe, Marlon Brando recorded his voice to appear in The Godfather: The Game, once again as Don Vito Corleone. However, due to his health problems his voice was too weak to be used in the game.

However, I've discovered a portion of this audio was in fact used in the game. If I find it, I'll upload Brando's final performance to my YouTube account.

Scott Marks Jan. 12, 2012 @ 11:04 a.m.

You had to remind me of Stooges interruptus.