• Big Screen alerts

Please play the following in the background while reading this post.

The Directors Guild of America announced their nominees, and with two films up for contention, Spielberg got the gate. Marty is in, as are Alexander Payne (The Descendants), Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris), David Fincher (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), and the shoe-in candidate, Michel Hazanavicius, the man with a last name that reads like an eye-chart, for The Artist.

Image

A bigger shock than the War Horse snub is the inclusion of David Fincher for his trace job of the 2009 Swedish art house sensation. Many were quick to write him off, but as The Hollywood Reporter points out, "Expect those predictions to be revised now that Dragon Tattoo has clinched the trifecta of DGA, PGA, and WGA nods."

The DGA is generally a good barometer of who will take home Oscar gold. Only six times since its inception in 1948 has a DGA winner not received a best director Oscar.

Don't view the Directors Guild of America's slight as anti-Spielberg. If anything, look upon it as a brilliant display of quality control.

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

John71471 Jan. 9, 2012 @ 10:58 p.m.

Michel Hazanavicius? That's not a name; that's a bad Scrabble hand.

Scott Marks Jan. 10, 2012 @ 12:38 a.m.

Didn't he write "The Last Temptation of Christ?"

dwbat Jan. 10, 2012 @ 9:17 p.m.

Close but no cigar! That was Nikos Kazantzakis.

Scott Marks Jan. 12, 2012 @ 12:18 p.m.

spielberg was a dinosaur long before he built a megaplex theme-park around them. His movies have always seemed outdated due to their overtly maudlin scheme of things coupled with stevie's inability to steal from others and make it his own. I saw the "Horse" at a press screening with about 20 of my brothers and sister in attendance. I generally sit a lot closer to the screen than the rest. Normally they can't hear the subtle sounds of disgusts, the soft, disgruntled moans I emit as I labor to shift from one cheek to another to alleviate the numbness. When the temporarily-blind boy reunites with the nag -- and spielberg is trying his best to wring teardrops -- I burst out laughing at his over-calculated burst of sentimentality over sentiment. And at 2 1/2 hours, it felt like I was being taken to the glue factory. If you think about it strictly from the POV of an auteur, and I don't suggest that you do, there is enough torture and destruction of animals to qualify this as the first horse holocaust picture. He should have named it "Wilbur Post's List," but that's, of course, reserved for the horse whose the famous "Mr. Ed."

Colonna Jan. 11, 2012 @ 2:45 a.m.

Thanks to Susanna Barnes, an inmate at Creedmoor, for the portrait of a dog... and a lovely white terrier!

Scott Marks Jan. 12, 2012 @ 11:59 a.m.

I thought I lifted it from the Tony Bennett collection.

Scott Marks Jan. 12, 2012 @ 11:58 a.m.

What? The poor old billionaire chanteuse who sat home while her world famous cue card dependent husband cheated on her with anything in a skirt, even Berle?