Ian Anderson 5 p.m., April 25
The High Concept: Beast Wars!
I know that I harp on the depressing similarity of today's movie beasties too often. So I thought I'd propose something that highlights their differences: Beast Wars, the movie. Basically, we take the critters from their various brief film appearances and pit 'em against each other, tournament-style. There is highly lucrative precedent. Alien vs. Predator did $170 million on a $60 million budget, and Freddy vs. Jason managed nearly $115 million on a $30 million budget. Here are a few of upcoming baddies we can start with: the two-headed thing from Wrath of the Titans and the big tooth thingies from John Carter:
Should be rip-snortin' fun! Over in the water bracket, how about the Kraken from Clash of the Titans vs. the Kraken from Pirates of the Caribbean?
Toothsome! Oh, oh, and how about that spindly thingy from Star Trek against that spindly thingy from Cloverfield?
Which reminds me: how wonderful would it have been if the Cloverfield fake had been the real beast? We saved the whales. But now, who will save us?
Add your own Round One pairings in the comments.
More like this:
- Take Your Valentine to a Movie! — Feb. 14, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- The Movie Star Mural at Edwards Mira Mesa, Part 2 — Feb. 9, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011