Jeff Smith 2:30 p.m., March 13
ArtPower! Screens Liu Bingjian's Crying Woman Tonight
ArtPower! Film will screen Liu Bingjian’s third feature, the comedy/drama Crying Woman (2002), tonight as part of its 21st Century Chinese Film Series.
Crying Woman, which was banned in China, is Beijing filmmaker Liu Bingjian’s third feature. According to the press release, the film "has struck a chord for its equally humorous and honest portrayal of Chinese life." Li Longjun stars as Guixiang, a strong and independent woman who moves back to her hometown after the arrest of her debt-ridden husband. When a gambler he crossed demands payback, Guixiang breaks down in tears.Her unusual style of weeping gives her the idea to make a living as a professional mourner.
The film screens once tonight at 8:00 p.m. at UCSD's Price Center Theatre. Tickets are $8 at the door. For more information, visit ArtPower!
More like this:
- Art!Power presents Indian-flavored 'Foovie' in October — Sept. 20, 2013
- UCSD's ArtPower! Screens Winter Story as Part of Their 21st Century Chinese Film Series — April 16, 2012
- Soul Kitchen Transforms ArtPower! Into a Lofty Dinner and a Movie — March 26, 2012
- Apart Together: Asian Film Screening Tonight — Feb. 28, 2012
- Three Films Selected by UCSD's ArtPower! Screen on PBS Shorts Showcase — Nov. 18, 2011