Ian Anderson 6 p.m., March 7
North County Times says goodbye to longtime film critic Dan Bennett
Who is this Wire Service and why is s/he getting all the plum film reviewing jobs?
It's not for certain, but chances are Dan Bennett's reviews will be replaced by those off the wire. Dan left the North County Times as their freelance film critic several months ago. It had been a while since Dan and I had met at a screening. Last night just moments before before Zero Dark Thirty hit the screen, Dan hit me with the news.
Dan's film writing has appeared in Entertainment Weekly, Movieline, the Los Angeles Times and MTV.com. Dan is the co-founder of the San Diego Film Critics Society as well as the creator and driving force behind the enormously popular San Diego International Children's Film Festival.
In addition to being a top-notch film reporter, Dan is known in critical circles as a mensch's mensch. There isn't a critic in town more liked and admired than Mr. B.
Good luck, Dan. Your print presence will be sorely missed. Let's hope that you and the kids will still make an effort to surprise us with occasional cameo appearances at screenings.
More like this:
- 9th Annual San Diego International Children's Film Festival to Screen Over 100 Short Films — July 5, 2012
- San Diego Film Critics Society Announces 2011 Nominations — Dec. 12, 2011
- San Diego Film Critics Society Welcomes Three New Members — Aug. 12, 2011
- SD International Children's Film Festival Starts Sunday at Comic-Con — July 20, 2011
- Thora Birch In Person for Saturday Night's Screening of Ghost World — July 18, 2011