Dave Rice 12:30 p.m., Feb. 14
Okay, first off: Benedict Cumberbatch is hugely enjoyable as Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock, and I liked him just fine in the remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but I'm just not buying the menace here. There's something hollow in the voice, a hint of poser weakness - more cat's purr than lion's growl. By thunder, doesn't anybody remember how hard Ricardo Montalban sold it? Dude is whispering there, and you can still feel the fire.
Secondly: what do we have to do to retire the BRAAAAAHM? Does Saturday Night Live need to have Adam Sandler host and make an entire sketch in which the BRAAAAHM is treated as a fart noise? Would that do it?
I'd say more, but Vulture really nailed it on this one.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Star Trek Into Darkness, The Iceman — May 17, 2013
- Die Disney die - UPDATED — May 13, 2013
- New releases opening this week: The Great Gatsby and some other less exhausting things — May 10, 2013
- Dept. of supercuts we'd like to see — Jan. 3, 2013
- Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven: a tense day on the set. — Aug. 31, 2012