Ian Anderson 7:30 p.m., Dec. 2
UCSD's ArtPower! Screens Winter Story as Part of Their 21st Century Chinese Film Series
It's a busy time for Asian Cinema in San Diego. In addition to next week's San Diego Asian Film Foundation's annual Spring Showcase, UCSD's ArtPower! screens director Zhu Chuanming’s Dongtian De Gushi (Winter Story) as part of their 21st Century Chinese Film Series.
Using a pseudo-documentary aesthetic to give his film a naturalistic, fly-on-the-wall quality, director Zhu Chuanming’s fictional Winter Story unfolds against atmospheric backdrops of Chinese city life.
According to the press release, "The story concerns a nameless protagonist with an ambiguous personal history and background who spends his days illegally hawking apparel in an impoverished Beijing suburb. He meets a street girl and, sensing chemistry, the two immediately strike up a torrid affair driven by a physical and emotional need for each other. Over the course of the film, their relationship is guided by dangerous, mutually imposed expectations."
The film screens Tuesday, April 24 at 8:00 pm at UCSD's The Loft, Price Center East, 2nd Floor. Admission if free.
Click for more information.
More like this:
- The long, long titles: Part 2 — April 22, 2013
- SDAFF adds encore screenings — Nov. 6, 2012
- UCSD's ArtPower! Film Announces its 2012-2013 Series — Aug. 2, 2012
- Soul Kitchen Transforms ArtPower! Into a Lofty Dinner and a Movie — March 26, 2012
- ArtPower! Screens Liu Bingjian's Crying Woman Tonight — Feb. 2, 2012