• Big Screen alerts

None

Never mind who's gonna play Nora Charles in the remake of The Thin Man; I'm still choking on the bone that is Johnny Depp as Nick. I don't believe the man has a screwball bone in his body. Slapstick, maybe, but not screwball. The ability to mumble thickly does not make one fit to play the greatest tipsy detective in history.

Plus, Depp's too pretty. William Powell had charm, which is another thing altogether from matinee idol beauty. You know who might finally be slack enough in the jowl line to take this on? George Clooney. And he's already shown - in both O Brother Where Art Thou? and Intolerable Cruelty - that he knows from screwball.

But - and it's a big but, bigger even than Aunt Fanny's in Robots - my personal favorite would've been Chris Eigeman, who somehow didn't become a huge star after Metropolitan. Sigh.

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

Scott Marks April 5, 2012 @ 12:58 p.m.

Go back and watch "Ed Wood." It's a terrific screwball performance. That said, how can they possibly remake a paean to alcoholism in these PC times?

Matthew Lickona April 5, 2012 @ 1:17 p.m.

I disagree. Depp's Ed Wood is a total naif; a man dumbly (if beautifully) suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Depp takes the wounds well, and the result is indeed touchingly hilarious. But screwball? Maybe I don't have my definitions down. What Depp lacks, it seems to me, is the screwball leading man's ability to master his situation through wit that throws everyone else off-kilter. Attacking, not suffering.

Scott Marks April 5, 2012 @ 1:25 p.m.

The same can be said of Billie Burke's character in "My Man Godfrey," yet her performance is as screwball as they get. I find Depp's Wood to be charmingly off-kilter. (Wish I had a dollar for every time I said that.) He never once winks at the audience, yet his subtle gestures and inflections display a tremendous degree of wit. For me, he's a great actor who decided to become a movie star.

Matthew Lickona April 5, 2012 @ 1:35 p.m.

Well, this is worth arguing over. I regard Ed Wood as his high point; Burton's, too (and I say that as someone who loves Beetlejuice much more than it probably deserves to be loved).

Colonna April 5, 2012 @ 2:10 p.m.

Which character in "My Man Godfrey" are you thinking about Scott? If it's the matriarch of the family, you're thinking of Alice Brady. Or maybe Gail Patrick as the spoiled brat sister of Carole Lombard?

nan shartel April 5, 2012 @ 1 p.m.

no one suave even exists in Hollywood anymore Matt...dang it!!!

i think some ubercool metrosexual (slang for gay guy) should do it and Nora can be Norman

i vote for Jude Law as Nick!!!

and Robert Downey Junior as Norman

None

Scott Marks April 5, 2012 @ 1:27 p.m.

What about Clive Owen? He'd make a dapper Nick.

Matthew Lickona April 5, 2012 @ 1:32 p.m.

I dunno. He looked pretty rough in Intruders. Gaunt, craggy, haggard are the three adjectives that came to mind. It pains me to say that.

Colonna April 5, 2012 @ 2:13 p.m.

I'm going British with my choices - either Colin Firth or Hugh Laurie would be my pick for Nick.

Nora? Anyone want gander a guess?

Scott Marks April 5, 2012 @ 2:45 p.m.

The guy who played F. Scott Fitzgerald in "Midnight in Paris" would make a good Nick.

Lindsay Lohan has had enough experience to play a career lush like Nora. What about Snooki? She comes with a built-in booze bone and would be unnnat...a natural as Nora.

But seriously, after watching "The Truth About Bliss," I'm pretty high on Brie Larson. She has a wonderful flair for comedy. Same goes for Emily Blunt. I can also see Olivia Thirlby in the role.

They'll probably give it to Tina Fey.

Is Judy Canova still alive?

None

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa April 5, 2012 @ 3:04 p.m.

I had forgotten Ed Wood. Depp did a fine job with that.

Still, it's an impossible job to recreate Nick Charles. It's like someone other than James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader. I just wouldn't be Vader.

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa April 5, 2012 @ 3:07 p.m.

Gulp... here goes. Renee Zellwegger for Nora?

Kate Hudson might be better, and could certainly pull off the 1930s dresses.

nan shartel April 6, 2012 @ 9:25 p.m.

where's a modern day Cary Grant when u need one....boo hoo....

None