Dorian Hargrove 7:30 p.m., Feb. 21
William Powell Must Be Shaking (Cocktails) in His Grave
Never mind who's gonna play Nora Charles in the remake of The Thin Man; I'm still choking on the bone that is Johnny Depp as Nick. I don't believe the man has a screwball bone in his body. Slapstick, maybe, but not screwball. The ability to mumble thickly does not make one fit to play the greatest tipsy detective in history.
Plus, Depp's too pretty. William Powell had charm, which is another thing altogether from matinee idol beauty. You know who might finally be slack enough in the jowl line to take this on? George Clooney. And he's already shown - in both O Brother Where Art Thou? and Intolerable Cruelty - that he knows from screwball.
But - and it's a big but, bigger even than Aunt Fanny's in Robots - my personal favorite would've been Chris Eigeman, who somehow didn't become a huge star after Metropolitan. Sigh.
More like this:
- Depp the Don — Dec. 6, 2012
- Free movies of the week: dead and undead edition. — Aug. 31, 2012
- Till Warner Bros. Cry, "Gatsby, Gold-Hatted, Thrice-Tanking Gatsby, We Must Reboot You!" — July 17, 2012
- The Internet Giveth? — March 28, 2012
- The Trailer for Dark Shadows is...*Sigh*...Here. — March 19, 2012