Larry Steckling 1:30 p.m., July 1
A Closer Look at the Trailer for The Artist
There, wasn't that nice? Now, because you are a jaded modern soul, and so cannot receive beauty without even a hint of a smirk, how 'bout this:
I love this shot of Our Hero After He Has Fallen on Hard Times, Imagining Himself in His Former Glory with the Help of a Tuxedo Display:
But at the same time, I'm imagining a Disney cartoon version, something out of the great old Donald Duck days. In this version, our hero has not only been let go by the studio, he's let himself go as well. He weighs twice as much as his former matinee idol self. As he stares at his reflection, the tuxedo in the display begins to puff and swell, as if is bloated body is actually inside it. Eventually, one of the buttons pops off the shirt, and does so with such force that it cracks the glass of the display window. And of course, that cracks Our Hero's reflection - and shatters his dream.
Now if you'll excuse me - I have something in my eye.
(Yes, yes, I know - that "Donald Duck cartoon" is actually a modern mashup. Sue me, I liked it.)
More like this:
- A closer look at the trailer for The Tall Man — Oct. 26, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey — Sept. 20, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Skyfall — Sept. 19, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Mama — Sept. 14, 2012
- A Closer Look at the Trailer for New Year's Eve — Sept. 29, 2011