Walter Mencken 9:23 a.m., Oct. 10
Three Films Selected by UCSD's ArtPower! Screen on PBS Shorts Showcase
Stop the music! KPBS is showing movies?! It can't be. Not the station that "cancelled" the Film Club and was too thrifty to pony up the dough for Ebert's latest incarnation of At the Movies.
True to form, the cinephobic station that prides itself on treating film coverage like it's the Red Death unmasked, will not carry Shorts Showcase, a ten-film student festival, three of which were featured as part of UCSD's ArtPower! Film’s 2011 Up&Coming Student Film Festival. Who needs movies when you can hike up your Depends and savor compelling reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show and Antiques Roadshow?
The three ArtPower! selections on display are Thanksgiving by Cameron Wilson, showing the week of November 22, and Family Portrait by Perrie Chen (no, not that Perry Chen) and Lonely by Kane Diep, both airing the week of December 6. Each short will run first on Tuesdays at 10:30 p.m. and then again early Saturday morning at 12:30 a.m.
If you want to see them, you are either going to have to make the drive to Orange County to catch them on KVCR, or wait for them to be posted on the Shorts Showcase website.
Pictured: Lawrence Welk
More like this:
- UCSD's ArtPower! Film Announces its 2012-2013 Series — Aug. 2, 2012
- Does Your Film Have What It Takes to Play the SD Asian Film Festival? — Jan. 26, 2012
- Anthropomorphic Yidlach? Only at This Year's San Diego Jewish Film Festival! — Jan. 11, 2012
- A Perryfic Red Carpet Video Interview With Perry Chen — Oct. 31, 2011
- 12th Annual San Diego Asian Film Festival Promises Fresh Hou Hsiao-Hsien and More! — Oct. 11, 2011