John Donne 9 p.m., May 27
KPBS Film Critic Beth Accomando's Alexander "Labor" Payne Retrospective Continues Tonight!
Well, shoot. I was all set to embed the video of the alternate ending to Election that was found on a workprint VHS tape purchased at a garage sale - it was truer to the original novel, and even Matthew Broderick liked it! - but the Bastards have gone and taken it down. Ah, well. I like the ending Payne eventually went with better, anyway.
Every now and then, when Reese Witherspoon unleashes another sweet-as-apple-pie performance on America's gouty, diabetic soul, a critic will ask, "Whatever happened to the blackly comic genius we all saw in Election? Where did that edge, that deadly 'who-me?' innocence, ever go to? Theory! It was put there by director Payne, and that's the reason we haven't seen in Witherspoon since! Discuss. Second theory! Matthew Broderick's best performance since Ferris Bueller's Day Off!
Also, consider seeing Election tonight at the Reading Gaslamp 15. Tix are just $5 - available at the box office, Fandango.com, and the Reading website - and it'll help get you in the mood for Payne's The Descendants, opening November 18.
More like this:
- KPBS Film Critic Beth Accomando's Alexander "Feeling No" Payne Retrospective Concludes Tonight! — Nov. 14, 2011
- KPBS Film Critic Beth Accomando's Alexander "Major" Payne's Film Retrospective Continues Tonight! — Nov. 10, 2011
- Best Sex Scene Dialogue Ever? — Sept. 21, 2011
- Will Reese Witherspoon Succumb to the Generation-Award Curse? — June 6, 2011
- X-Men = Stars Lite — June 1, 2011