Brandon Hernández 9 a.m., Aug. 23
ArtPower! Press Rewind showcases 3 directors' early shorts
Art Power was my old deejay name. ArtPower! is UCSD's creative collective to showcase music, dance, film, exhibition and food.
This Tuesday evening is their fourth annual Press Rewind, a one-night exhibition of the early short films by three talked-about directors: David Gordon Green, Spike Jonze, and Michel Gondry.
After directing an impressive series of acclaimed dramas (George Washington, Undertow, Snow Angels), David Gordon Green appears to have traded in his DGA card for a medical marijuana card. His last two efforts were a pair of dope comedies, Pineapple Express and Your Highness. Green currently has fifteen (!) films in development.
Spike Jonze started off as a magazine publisher before moving over to direct music videos, TV commercials, and eventually feature films (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation). In addition to his work behind the camera, Jonze is the co-creator and executive producer of MTV's inspirational Jackass series, where he can also be seen playing saucy senior, Gloria.
Press Rewind's only foreign import, Michel Gondry, also began in music videos and commercials before making the leap to the big screen. He is best known for directing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, what many consider the sharpest interpretation of screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's work to date.
For more information and a complete list of titles to be screened visit ArtPwr.com.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- The Movie-Studio Logo Quiz: A New Beginning — Dec. 19, 2011
- Picture Story: Anne Hathaway Has a Bad Day on the Set of Dark Knight Rises — Sept. 26, 2011
- Anatomy of a Press Photo: Contagion Poster — Aug. 15, 2011
- Anatomy of a Press Photo: Tree of Life at the Cannes Film Festival — May 17, 2011