Various Authors 9:01 p.m., July 27
Jerry Lewis Rushed to Hospital Moments Before Australian Concert
Funnyman Jerry Lewis had to be rushed to a hospital on Friday just moments before he was scheduled to perform his nightclub act at Sydney’s Rooty Hill Returned Servicemen's League club.
Lewis is on an eight-city concert tour to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation of Australia. The comic legend was so ill that he couldn’t get out of the car that brought him to the theater and was instead whisked to a nearby hospital. Lewis was in Brisbane Wednesday night where he performed at a 250-seat dinner.
It was business as usual earlier yesterday for the 85-year-old legend as Lewis made the promotional rounds of newspaper, television, and radio interviews. When told of Lewis’s condition and that he would have to cancel his performance, the sell-out audience gave the entertainer a standing ovation. Instead of asking for a refund, the crowd donated the price of their tickets to the charity.
More like this:
- Jerry Lewis Remains Hospitalized After Friars Club Collapse — June 14, 2012
- The Jerry Lewis Telethon That Never Was — Sept. 6, 2011
- Jerry Lewis Out as MDA Chairman and Telethon Host — Aug. 4, 2011
- Leon Russell — June 30, 2010
- Raptured — April 19, 2001