Don Bauder 5:30 p.m., Jan. 29
LEST YOU THINK that the preceding review of Green Lantern was merely the rantings of a fusty critic who gets his cardigan in a bunch over plot points and comic-book metaphysics when he's supposed to be enjoying the spectacle of a summer spectacular... (I mean, it was all that, but it wasn't merely that.)
Behind me at the screening sat a gathering of bros, the sort of regular guys who, when Ryan Reynolds first appeared onscreen, cried out, "Hey, it's Van Wilder!" When the credits kicked in, the most vocal of the bros turned to his fellows and declared, "I don't know, man. I think maybe they need to stop making superhero movies."
Make of that what you will.
More like this:
- Grindhouse Movie Reviews: Walkabout, Roeg's 1971 Acid/Aboriginal Trip — Feb. 2, 2012
- Oh, dear, Megan, Part 3 — June 28, 2011
- Dept. of Cinematic Muses — June 22, 2011
- Warner Bros. Uses Military Families to Hype Green Lantern — June 17, 2011
- A Tender Moment — June 16, 2011