• Big Screen alerts

Liberty Station’s third annual Summer Movie Mania continues tonight with a free 25th anniversary outdoor screening of Top Gun.

Image

A favorite of locals, we played to a capacity crowd when I screened the movie at the Oceanside Pier earlier this summer.

Image

The festivities kick off at around 8 p.m. tonight, but you are advised to get there early. You can't miss it. When you get to Liberty Station, head over to Ingram Plaza (2756 Dewey Road) and look for the giant inflatable screen.

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 July 30, 2011 @ 5:38 p.m.

It was actually on AMC last night-I have seen this pic at least 200 times. I always watch it!

I saw it on opening night in 1986 at the 1,000+ Seat theater on University, just west of College Ave, I forgot the name of it, the Unirama or something like that. There were at least 25 Naval Aviaters from Miramar dressed in their flight suits who saw it too.......you don't know excitment until you are in a room with 1,000+ other people going crazy over the scenes in this picture.

One of the best shows ever and the spark that sent Tom Cruise onto the A list of actors.

Scott Marks July 31, 2011 @ 1:48 a.m.

Oh, Surf, you're killing me. This is the gay Ice Capades of aviation pictures. The film works much better if you imagine Val Kilmer as the love interest, not Kelly McGillis. What I dislike most about it is how it glamorizes combat. It's a recruitment film disguised as a video game. I hate everything this films stands for and tonight I was forced to watch it.

Backwards.

It's very seldom I sit through one of the movies we show from start to finish. (I got "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squequel" the first time. The 12 follow-up screening were [paid] torture.) It was so windy tonight, in profile the inflatable screen looked 8 months pregnant. We had so many ropes anchoring it down, the back of it looked like a spiderweb.

What with the parade of trip-wires, I sat behind the screen, making sure nobody would take a shortcut and fall, and watched it backwards. I felt like Ben Turpin with dyslexia.

Sorry if I came out swinging over "Top Gun," Surf, but you picked at a scab. No offense. You still take my breath away.

Come to think of it, if Ben Turpin had dyslexia, wouldn't that give him 20/20 vision?

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 1, 2011 @ 12:35 a.m.

LOL!!!!! Kelly McGillis is smoking hot in this pic.

I saw a pic of her ecently she has NOT aged well.

Colonna July 30, 2011 @ 8:51 p.m.

A Navy recruitment movie, plain and simple. Released at the height of the Reagan gung-ho 80s too. Made my HS honor roll in 1987 and they rewarded us with a screening of this film - I pretended to vomit about 20 minutes in and I was excused from the auditorium.

I'll pay you $100 to switch the DVDs over to a better Navy film - "Sailor Beware" with Dean and Jerry.

Scott Marks July 31, 2011 @ 1:54 a.m.

Not my favorite M&L movie.

For me, this is the biggest laff in the entire picture: 1:27 - 1:32.

Radical Uterus July 30, 2011 @ 10:35 p.m.

Personally, I'd rather see Emilio Estevez in Repo Man.

Scott Marks July 31, 2011 @ 1:11 a.m.

What I wouldn't give to see "Salo" projected outdoors on our 40-foot screen, but we can't show anything stronger than a PG.

Come by next month when we show "Avatard" and together we'll snort meth off your glove compartment like Harry Dean. And don't worry about driving your car to Liberty Station. It's not in a "bad area."

nan shartel July 31, 2011 @ 12:46 p.m.

hey DG...but Cruise looked tall in this one...lol

and there is the "motorcycle"connection

and it was filmed here for cripes sakes

;-S

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 1, 2011 @ 12:37 a.m.

Personally, I'd rather see Emilio Estevez in Repo Man.

================= The Outsiders and Maximum Overdrive are great Emilio Estevez pics!

Laurin Aug. 1, 2011 @ 8:48 a.m.

Isn't it a sad commentary when a 50 yr old actor's best films are ones he made at least 25 yrs ago? To use emilio Esteves and great pics in the same sentence for any film he made after a Stakeout would be an oxymoron.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 1, 2011 @ 4:29 p.m.

No, it is not.