Various Authors 8:04 p.m., July 1
Banned 3-D Asian Sexploitation Flick Coming to Clairemont!
It was only a matter of time before the three-buck surcharge for 3-D glasses went towards something other than cartoon birds, redneck roadsters, annihilative tin cans, and Smurfs.
The same year that saw Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams join Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder as one of the few 3-D films to utilize spatial distance as a means with which to advance the narrative, now brings what Movieline calls "groundbreaking 3-D Asian smut."
For decades, "filmmakers" have tried, with little artistic consummation, to marry sex and storytelling. Occasionally, a film like Shortbus or 9 Songs will come along and actually succeed at mounting a complex story between the money shots. With cheap digital effects, comic book violence, and a campy title like 3-D Sex and Zen: Extreme Ecstasy, Asia's latest addition to the soft core skin game looks like something more akin to Samurai Dick than In the Realm of the Senses.
Purportedly banned in mainland China, Hong Kong audiences dropped more money at the box office to see Sex and Zen than they did Avatar!
According to Movieline, the 3-D sex hits the screen at Reading Cinemas Town Square Stadium 14 on August 26. The same source also has the film opening in 3-D at Reading Cinemas Gaslamp 15. When last I checked, the Gaslamp is not wired for 3-D, so expect a 2-D presentation.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Does Your Film Have What It Takes to Play the SD Asian Film Festival? — Jan. 26, 2012
- Part 4: Famous Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen (Exclusive) — Nov. 30, 2011
- Picture Story: Anne Hathaway Has a Bad Day on the Set of Dark Knight Rises — Sept. 26, 2011
- Comic-Con Days 1 - 4 Photo Funnies — July 25, 2011