• Big Screen alerts

Image

The Americans Idle judge and her singer/actor husband, Marc Anthony, tell People Magazine (the divorced celebrity tabloid of record), "We have decided to end our (seven-year) marriage. This was a very difficult decision. We have come to an amicable conclusion on all matters."

I'm shocked the couple had the nerve to show their faces together in public after El Cantante.

Jennifer Lopez's acting career started strong with Anaconda, a supreme guilty pleasure, and Out of Sight (no apologies needed). She then went on to make Gigli and Monster-In-Law. The end.

I can't come down too hard on Marc Anthony. After all, he did provide Marty with quality service in Bringing Out the Dead and gave what is easily the performance of his career in Feed the Kitty.

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

cinemacurmudgeon July 16, 2011 @ 9:13 a.m.

She showed such promise in Out of Sight, then chucked it all. Can't comment on Anthony in Bringing Out the Dead, cuz that's the one Marty film that made me really angry. Hated it.

Scott Marks July 16, 2011 @ 11:05 a.m.

C'mon! It's a feel-good charmer and the type of smaller film I wish He'd return to.

SurfPuppy619 July 17, 2011 @ 11:33 a.m.

Out of Sight was a GREAT picture.....Steven Soderbergh directed.

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 3:57 p.m.

Add she was great in in. Then what happened?

tomjohnston July 18, 2011 @ 9:50 a.m.

But you have to consider the source, Elmore Leonard is an outstanding writer. And it's not coincidence that the same guy who did the screen play for Out of Sight also did the screen play for Get Shorty, another Elmore Leonard novel that was turned into a great movie.

Scott Marks July 18, 2011 @ noon

There is too much winking at the audience in "Get Shorty" to make me view it as anything more than a standard-issue, all-star Hollywood time killer. For me, the source to be credited for the success of "Out of Sight" is Steven Soderbergh.

Not every one of Leonard's works were successfully adapted to the big screen. "Joe Kidd" and "Stick" are two low points in the careers of Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. Neither version of "The Big Bounce" is particularly good, and "Be Cool" is an embarrassment.

My personal favorite screen adaptation of one of Elmore's works is Budd Boetticher's, "The Tall T." Now that's what I call storytelling.

tomjohnston July 18, 2011 @ 5:17 p.m.

didn't say Out of Sight wasn't a good movie, it is. But I also think Get Shorty is just as good. Maybe it's because i live in L.A. and recognize so much of what happens in the movie.But i don't believe Scott Frank did the screen play on any of the movies you mentioned, which was my point. Good book, good screen play, good director, good movie. It doesn't matter how good the director is, if he doesn't have good material to start with, he's not gonna turn a pile of crap into a rose. My personal favorite adaptation is actually a tv show: "Justified". Not a literal adaptation from a single work, more an amalgamation of a character from a couple of novels and a short story. I haven't read the novels, but I did read the short story "Fire in the Hole" after listening to an interview with Timothy Olyphant and found it quite good. Gotta say though, I loved Mr. Majestyk. Vintage Charles Bronson

Scott Marks July 16, 2011 @ 7:11 p.m.

I had to stay home from work today because I was so ferklempt.

tomjohnston July 18, 2011 @ 9:41 a.m.

it's verklempt, scott. Talk amongst yourselves.

Scott Marks July 18, 2011 @ 12:05 p.m.

I was always taught that ferklempt was Yiddish for overwhelmed.

nan shartel July 18, 2011 @ 12:20 p.m.

tomjohnson is right Scott...but ur definition is correct...

tomjohnston July 18, 2011 @ 4:51 p.m.

ferklempt is another, less commonly used, spelling of verklempt. But as the son in law of 2 French Jews who lived in NYC for many years, I can tell you the V was clearly pronounced; actually, I've never heard it the other way. Overwhelmed,distraught, choked up, extremely emotional, they're all pretty much the same. I guess you missed the Mike Myers reference, though.

Colonna July 16, 2011 @ 8:28 p.m.

Forget People Magazine... what about this month's GQ with Mila Kunis on the cover? You didn't catch it?

I'm near the end of a 10 day vacation with the family and during a rare moment alone at the newsstand in Niagara Falls (slowly I turn), what caught my eye wasn't Mila on GQ.

Jerry Lewis' name was on the cover. And I wasn't able to read the article... please get a copy and report.

SurfPuppy619 July 17, 2011 @ 11:34 a.m.

what caught my eye wasn't Mila on GQ.

Mila is shown in a Bikini in "Get Over It", a pretty good little film, she has a SMOKING little body on her........

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 3:56 p.m.

Is there a pretty girl on the cover? All I saw was Jerry's name.

Scott Marks July 16, 2011 @ 9:04 p.m.

Jerry in GQ? Sy Devore lives!!!

Thanks, JC. I'll hit the newsstand tomorrow.

Scott Marks July 16, 2011 @ 11:26 p.m.

He traded up from Miss Universe to JLo. His gratuitous cameo on the last season of "Idol" was the first time I had seen him outside the tabloids in ages. He was practically carrying her purse.

As for your exceptional analogy, Mindy, I'd be more inclined to go with Gary Morton over Desi.

Radical Uterus July 17, 2011 @ 4:48 a.m.

I think J-lo got tired of his incessant whining. I think eventually J-lo will come out as a lesbian. By the time she hits forty she will be finished with men, except for the sculptured penis collection modeled on all her husbands and lovers.

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 7:08 a.m.

They'll have to open a new wing at F Street to accommodate the collection.

nan shartel July 18, 2011 @ 12:22 p.m.

holy frijole DG...wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

a Lesbian i mean ;-D

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 9:43 a.m.

I know I shouldn't watch "Idol" because of what it represents, let alone that the spark of the show took a powder, but I can't resist. Probably the meanest thing anyone can say about JLo is that she was the perfect substitute for the inordinately upidstay Ms. Abdul. Can't wait for "The X Factor."

SurfPuppy619 July 17, 2011 @ 11:39 a.m.

Rumor has it that the studio didn't want Desi, but had to take him as part of the deal to get Lucy.

Actually the studio would not buy the series unless they BOTH could prove their comedy chops so Desi and Lucy took the act on the road and did live shows, the studio liked it and before you know it "I Love Lucy" was on the air for 6 seasons, where itwas #1 for 4 years, #2 for one year and #3 for one year, but the ratings did not decline in chronological order. They knocked the other very competitive "Rifleman" series with Chuck Connors off the air.

The BEST thing that ever happened was the shows sponsor-Philip Morris- refused to covet the $5K per episode of the new film they were using to film the show, so Desi said they would cover the costs-and with the costs were the rights to all the elisodes, and when syndication hit a few years later it was a lottery jackpot. Desi and Lucy ended up buying the stuido-which I think was RKO (???).

Evelyn July 17, 2011 @ 10:26 a.m.

i'm not shocked. i never really thought they were good together. she's too good for him. he's not good enough for her.

nan shartel July 17, 2011 @ 12:14 p.m.

south of the border they were perfect for each other...i feel sorry for the twins :(

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 4:08 p.m.

I don't understand how she was too good for him. It's not as if she married Dustin Diamond or Jonah Hill. Marc is not a bad looking guy and when they met, he had a fairly happening career. The Latino power couple they had banked on was not meant to be. She became known for her pretty face and an even prettier tuchas, not her ability to act or sing. Hollywood hasn't exactly been kicking JLo's door down, hence the TV gig. If she leaves "Idol" it would be the dumbest move of her career.

coolinout1 July 17, 2011 @ 9:58 p.m.

I thought Jennifer Lopez did great with her supporting turn in the overlooked "An Unfinished Life." I think she needs to do some more films, since that's one area she was excelling in earlier in her movies/music career.

Scott Marks July 17, 2011 @ 10:12 p.m.

I agree that she'd do well to pursue an acting career, but until she can find a project that isn't another noxious rom-com or sub-Lifetime portrait of a victimized woman, she'd be insane to leave "Idol." She is certainly not without talent, but her eeny-meeny-miney-moe choice of projects leaves one wondering why she doesn't seek out better representation.