Matt Potter 3:30 p.m., July 25
Trailer: Martin Scorsese's Hugo
"You're doing 'Rocky and Bullwinkle' and 'Fockers' and I'm directing Oscar-bait and kids films. What the fuck happened to us?"
Repeat after me: You can't judge a movie by its trailer. You can't judge a movie by its trailer. You can't judge a movie by its trailer...
But what if the trailer for Martin Scorsese's 3-D kidpic Hugo makes it look like a cross between Polar Express and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, with a cameo by Buck Rogers robot Twiki thrown in for good measure?
Everything appears to be shot in the same hazy, achromatic shades of cobalt blue and gray. It looks like Titanic for nine-year-olds. If I'm going to come down hard on mumblecore fledglings for their overuse of close-ups and hand-held cameras, you can rest assured that I'm going to blow a gasket when the God of Cinema is found guilty of carrying a simple stylistic device too far.
Admittedly, it's only two-and-a-half minutes out of what will presumably be a two-hour feature. Who am I kidding? I'll take what He giveth and gladly come back begging for more. At least the elaborate train station set will allow Marty ample opportunity to pay tribute to David Lean's Brief Encounter.
More like this:
- Tim and Eric's $275.00 Interview — March 2, 2012
- 12 Films From 2011 That Brightened My Life in the Dark — Jan. 2, 2012
- Now Is the Time for All Good People to Come to the Aid of Their Marty! — Nov. 19, 2011
- For Scorsese, Life Is No Longer a "Cabret" — July 1, 2011
- 2011: A Year So Nice, Scorsese Will Gift Us Twice! — June 15, 2011