Don Bauder 9 p.m., Aug. 22
Spend Christmas Night With Three Men (Two Tramps, One King) in a Tub
Another day, another delightful holiday oddity from the imaginative animation stands at Van Beuren Studios Trust me on this -- you have never seen anything quite like James Tyler's Christmas Night aka Pals (1933). (The same can be said of a certain 6,000 word Lickona/Marks cover story due to hit the stands on 12/22/11.)
"You go to bed early?"
An audience with an ominous-sounding department store Santa finds Soglow's Little King contemplating the meaning of "good will toward men." Either that, or the married monarch is in the market for a little hobosexuality. The noble naif decides to sneak a pair of even more passive tramps past the snoring Queen (note the manner in which the LK gingerly relieves his wife's leg of its nylon casing), strip them down, and frolic Sandusky-style in the royal outhouse.
Sit back and enjoy this cross-dressing, soap-swallowing mélange of pre-code perversity with just the right amount of charm and innocence to make it all seem perfectly acceptable for deviant kids of all ages.
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- Merry Christmas from Your Pals at The Big Screen — Dec. 25, 2011
- Disney Rakes in the Hanukkah Gelt — Dec. 21, 2011
- The Movie-Studio Logo Quiz: A New Beginning — Dec. 19, 2011
- Great Moments in Celebrity Hair — Dec. 16, 2011