Tho the Reader's Crasher column existed before Josh Board wrote it (Daniel Ridge had the gig until late 2003), Josh seems to have taken the column name and format with him to sandiego.com -- meanwhile, the Reader revived its own Party Crasher column on March 3rd, with new columnist Chad Deal. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/mar/03/crasher-pre-gaming/

Things that make ME go "hmmmmmmm" ------------

Comments

antigeekess March 9, 2010 @ 3:11 a.m.

I'm rather surprised you'd bother to comment on him, actually -- much less provide a link to another site. That said, I'm not convinced the concept of a "Party Crasher" column originates with the Reader. Seems like a fairly obvious idea for a column. For example, here's another "Party Crasher" that came up pretty quickly for me: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/party-crasher/Content?oid=3489218

But HE certainly doesn't own it, either.

Sue him and see how it all shakes out.

Jay Allen Sanford March 9, 2010 @ 3:49 a.m.

Interesting - I wasn't aware of other Party Crasher columns in other publications. Now I wonder when the Reader's started? Seems like at least seven or eight years back --

I've always said that Josh's spoken-voice style is perfectly suited for the Crasher column, much more so than the column's earlier writer. I'm sure I'll read his new incarnation - I have no knowledge or opinion worth stating as to the circumstances behind his departure from the Reader, but I AM interested in how it works when someone hired to write an existing column then takes it to another publication.

Josh used to write a lot about how "lame" he thought it was for a guy who was maybe a minor band member, who then takes that band name and tours, playing music written and created by others for whom he was once a mere employee. Just because you played on one Steppenwolf album, are you then allowed to call any group you join "Steppenwolf"?

For all I know, the Reader gave Josh the Crasher trademark, or he purchased it, so I'm not alleging any malfeasance. The things that interest me are:

1) Why would sandiego.com want a column that is completely Reader-flavored, and that everyone has long associated with the Reader? Do they think it's a "coup," ala landing a hot ballplayer, or is it a conscious attempt at "We want the Reader's success, so let's do things just like the Reader and be no different from them."

and 2) DOES a guy you hire to work on your personal creation then OWN that creation the minute you stop doing it yourself?

Also, 3) How do all the people who complained about the column - and about Josh himself - feel about he and it returning to business as usual, just at another url? For that matter, how do his supporters feel?

Worth discussion, no?

CuddleFish March 9, 2010 @ 6:41 a.m.

Same boring content, same bad writing. Big snooze.

And it isn't "business as usual," he hasn't made any racist or sexist comments yet, hasn't made jokes about children being killed, about pushing suicidal people off bridges, about women who can't bear children. Either the editors over there are making him wear a muzzle, or he's reformed. I'm betting the former, but the truth is, I don't care.

Let CityBeat stalk him, if they think it's worth their time.

SDaniels March 9, 2010 @ 12:17 p.m.

I stopped reading it here months ago, so why would I read Board's new column at another publication? Though yeah, it makes me go hmmmmm about their ideological stance...(not enough to check them out, however--my white charger and lance are getting rusty, and this crusader for the educated human is tired of fighting alone).

Chad Deal seems like a good deal for the Reader. I think they realize that they'd better get rid of all the racist and sexist rhetoric if they want to appeal to readers like me, and most of the others who comment here. I say this because they also banned Pete, so we'll see how that works--my bet is he's already back, under another handle.

SDaniels March 9, 2010 @ 12:27 p.m.

PS: Jayallen, I think this thread, and the questions you are asking, are pretty transparent. The main idea is that you are providing a link to Board's new gig, promoting it through the back door, no?

Board's "spoken word-style" is perfect for the column? WTF? Do you really expect readers to flock to this blog and start reminiscing about how great all that was?

I'm surprised that the Reader is allowing your thread to stay--I think it should, absolutely, but...it is surprising.

MsGrant March 9, 2010 @ 12:34 p.m.

Jay Allen commented on this as well in the new Party Crasher post and offered a link to Board's "new" gig.

I got the same impression that Jay is trying to draw attention to the fact that Josh Board has a new home. I didn't care for it here, and I certainly won't go looking for it somewhere else.

CuddleFish March 9, 2010 @ 1:15 p.m.

Oooh, dang, you ladies are smarter than the average bear!

jayallen, shame on you, pitching for your old friend here on the Reader. Your bosses should spank you!

MsGrant March 9, 2010 @ 1:44 p.m.

SD, I am pretty sure Pete is gone for good. I got your drift about fighting the good fight alone, and I wish I stood up to that skidmark more, but it got exhausting reading a thread about cats and here comes Pete, and it devolves into a lunatic ranting about castrasting minorities. I can't believe the Reader allowed it to continue as long as it did. Maybe these threads can go back to being fun.

Joe Poutous March 9, 2010 @ 2:31 p.m.

RE Reply #1.. "http://www.thestranger.com"

Wait, there is an online newspaper called THE STRANGER!!??

I wonder if all the articles are written exclusively with the left hand.

• Joe

SDaniels March 9, 2010 @ 3:47 p.m.

re#8: Yeah, well, I understand, Grant. I have felt alone, but in the past year I've had more time than anyone else to fight the good fight for a publication I like, and where I've chosen to put my blogs. The Reader neighborhood contest was my incentive for starting to blog, so I'm grateful to them for that, even though they never chose to grace me with $500 for it. ;)

It does seem that the Reader is waking up and deciding to take itself back. I don't think Pete should have been banned for speaking his mind, as Gringo would put it, but for the racist and sexist stuff, and the violent wishes toward others? Certainly, and he should have been banned months ago. I too hope it gets funner around here now, too. I'll do my part as best I can--carpal tunnel is a fact, and so I must type slowly and take long breaks--but I have at least two blogs I've promised, and want to get those out there. One is about Mica's new girlfriend, so that's really his deal, and the other is about evil MILFs. Hold me to them, Grant! :)

SDaniels March 9, 2010 @ 3:49 p.m.

re#9: Reference to Camus, Joe? And hey--don't knock left-handers! Especially when you're expecting that 'right hook'! :)

antigeekess March 9, 2010 @ 4:14 p.m.

"Josh used to write a lot about how "lame" he thought it was for a guy who was maybe a minor band member, who then takes that band name and tours, playing music written and created by others for whom he was once a mere employee."

LOL. Right on.

Personally, I'm more than content to let the door that hit him in the ass stay closed.

MsGrant March 9, 2010 @ 6:54 p.m.

Anti, Josh has taken the Party Crasher name on tour! Thanks for pointing that out.

SD, it feels good to have this site back. I was run off, but am glad I came back. I am jonesing for your MIL blog - I have an astounding MIL comment I recently endured that I will share with you when you post it. So I am holding you to it! I'll bet that will be a winner.

Jay Allen Sanford March 9, 2010 @ 10 p.m.

RE #6 "Jay is trying to draw attention to the fact that Josh Board has a new home."

Not exactly - the topic I wanted to discuss was that the Crasher column itSELF now has TWO homes. Regardless of who wrote each, what I'm fascinated by is how a columnist (ANY columnist) is able to take an assigned masthead from the publication which created it (under a different writer), to a competitor in the same city.

I'd especially like to know whether sandiego.com knew that Josh didn't create the column, or whether ANYone knew the Reader would relaunch it at the same time, resulting in competing Crashers.

I'd posit the same queries if, say, Ed Bedford suddenly turned up writing Tin Fork for Revolt in Style, during the same week a new columnist takes over that decade-old Reader column. Has little to do with the writers and/or how I do or don't feel about the individuals. I'm not even that interested in which Crasher writes a better column, a purely subjective call after all. I just wanna know how it works. Or IF it works -

The Crasher column is well known in San Diego - the three writers who've worked on it, not so much. Just like Overheard in San Diego is well known now (after 15 years of weekly strips), but I doubt two in 500,000 San Diegans know my name, and even less will remember the half dozen other artists who've collaborated on the comics.

So, if one of my former inkers turned up at CityBeat with a weekly Overheard in SD toon, I'd sher as Heckle want the public to chime in on that one! After I talked to a lawyer, anyway, since I own that 'mark ----

antigeekess March 9, 2010 @ 11:04 p.m.

Re #13:

So much for Camus, Daniels.

(Although one could babble about existentialism in French while doing it, I suppose.)

CuddleFish March 9, 2010 @ 11:34 p.m.

Good gracious, the things one learns from Joe!!!!!!!!

Jay Allen Sanford March 10, 2010 @ 2:16 a.m.

Josh Board sent me the following email and asked me to post it - everything below this line is from that email, which I'm pasting unedited in its entirety, other than adding clarification in front of each quote as to who said what:

JOSH SAYS: Hey Jay, Can you post this entire email in your link about the Crasher? I just logged on to post a comment, and I see that the Reader has closed my account to even comment on stories. I figure, since you didn't tell me about this blog of yours, it's the least you can do. Thanks:

JAS SAYS: >>Tho the Reader's Crasher column existed before Josh Board wrote it (Daniel Ridge had the gig until late 2003), Josh seems to have taken the column name and format with him to sandiego.com -- meanwhile, the Reader revived its own Party Crasher column on March 3rd, with new columnist Chad Deal. http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/20...

JOSH: You say the Crasher column existed before I wrote it, that's true. But ya know what? I think Daniel Ridge only wrote 6 stories. That's hardly "existing" before I arrived. And, to use the band analogies you use later in your post, I'll use a few. This would be like saying the Beatles had a drummer before Ringo, or Rush saying they had a drummer (and even an album released) before Neil Peart. Sure, they did, but who remembers them? Off the top of my head, I remember two columns Ridge did. One was about going to wrestling in TJ. Nothing about a party in that story. Another one was stepping in dog poop at a crazy party. He called me months after I started doing the column, to tell me that entire column was completely made up (not that that matters or means anything), but my point is...he did maybe six columns before I showed up.

JAS: >>>I'm retiring this blog after this edition, to focus on the Rock Around Town blog. But I figured I'd post on the Crasher's return, and invite comment - does the Reader hold a trademark on the Crasher name and concept?

JOSH: TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION: no and no and no. But, to be both on the safe side and because I'm still on good terms with our boss at the Reader, one of the few lawyer friends I have said to me before I launched the column over there: "Josh, 75% of the legal questions I have, I don't need to go research on. I just call the business up and ask them, and my question gets answered. Contact the Reader, and ask them."

Jay Allen Sanford March 10, 2010 @ 2:17 a.m.

JOSH (continued): So, that's exactly what I did. I sent an email to our head honcho, and told him another place ( sandiego.com ) wants to carry the Crasher, but I wondered if they had any legal rights to that name. I also told him I saw ads in the Reader for future stories, and it looked like they were going to call it "Party Animal" instead. I was informed that they were going to call it Crasher still, and that they had no legal right to the name, and that I should feel free to use that in any capacity I want, at any publication. I then responded with a short thank you. I had figured the Reader wouldn't own a name like "crasher" because it's a common phrase. But I still felt the bosses that had been good to me, at least deserved that courtesy. Or, had they felt strongly that I don't use it, we would've gladly come up with a different name (heck, I like "party animal" better besides...not sure why the Reader didn't change the name)

JAS: >>>How do you like Josh's new Crasher column? I like it fine - always did - tho I wonder why a competing paper wants to ape a Reader-created feature? How do you like the new Reader Crasher, Chad Deal?

JOSH: Thanks for the kind words. I've always enjoyed your stuff (but for the love of god, make your music blogs shorter...sometimes I'd see a headline that looked interesting, only to find a 3,000 word story!) The few things I happened to catch by Deal looked well written. I wish him well.

JAS: >>>Does a writer hired to take over a column then own that column name and format enough to take it elsewhere?

JOSH: Siskel & Ebert started at one network (PBS, I believe) and took that show elsewhere. It happens all the time.

JAS: >>>Do you think Josh even knew the Reader planned to revive its own Crasher column last week?

JOSH: AS I STATED BEFORE...yes, I did know it would continue. And was told it would continue on a monthly basis. Over at SanDiego.com I will be doing one a week. I also write movie reviews. Feel free to come over and check them out!

JAS: >>>Did the Reader know that Josh would call himself and his column the Party Crasher at a competing publication?

JOSH: YES AND YES.

JAS: >>>Did sandiego.com know that Josh didn't create the column, and/or did they know the Reader was relaunching its own Crasher column at the same time as Josh was debuting his version over there?

JOSH: WRONG. I had done about three Crashers that appeared in SanDiego.com before the Reader released the first one.

JAS: >>>Are there even enough parties in San Diego for TWO Party Crasher columns??? What happens if they both crash the same bash??

JOSH: YES, Jay, there are. If you lived here, you'd know that ;-)

BOTH (?): Things that make ME go "hmmmmmmm" ------------

Joe Poutous March 10, 2010 @ 6:36 a.m.

"Although one could babble about existentialism in French while doing it, I suppose." By antigeekess

• that sounds kinda hot.

"Good gracious, the things one learns from Joe!" By CuddleFish

• I'm all about education

shizzyfinn March 12, 2010 @ 11:25 p.m.

Sorry to hear you're retiring this blog, Jay...I've been enjoying the heck outta (Auto)Biography Channel since it popped up a couple months back. Maybe you'd consider still cranking out the occasional post? In any case, thanks.

Jay Allen Sanford March 13, 2010 @ 5:20 a.m.

Thanks - I set out to keep a daily single-topic first person blog. However, the experiment quickly failed and I ended up doing the same kinda thing I do at Rock Around the Town.

So that's where I'll uploaded anything I otherwise would have put here --- same JAS, same channel. (Auto)biography channel over and out ----------