First of all I want to say that the CCAC approval of a permit for entertainment at the El Dorado Bar, 7 nights a week, is probably a fair decision. I went to see the place, 11th & Broadway, and meet the owner, Nathan Stanton. I noticed that the surrounding area is all open space, empty fenced lots. There are virtually no residents that would be bothered by potential noise. IF that changes, the permit will need to be revisited. Mr. Stanton was forthcoming and I just may wander in one night when the place gets jumping.

What in the world is going on with our government? "According to Brent Budowsky, a well-known Washington insider, "The Supreme Court decision allowing unlimited corporate cash to buy unlimited political power through unlimited political spending is one of the greatest single attacks on democracy in the history of jurisprudence, and one of the single greatest demonstrations of contempt for legal precedent in the history of the United States Supreme Court."

This is precisely backwards from what should happen: Make lobbying ILLEGAL. This is from Business Week: "last week's Supreme Court decision in the case Citizens United vs. FEC overturned over a century of precedent and opened the floodgates for unlimited amounts of corporate money to flow into our political system. Shockingly, the court's decision may even allow foreign corporations and large multinationals to manipulate our elections."

WE THE PEOPLE have faded away. Our nation's heirachy hardly ever give any real consideration to the constituency that put them in office. Things are going haywire in the USA. How in the world can anyone in their right mind justify basically wide open lobbying??? WE THE PEOPLE do not even get a say because the people we elect do NOT represent us. We can TRY to get it right by letting our elected 'officials' know what we think. WE THE PEOPLE are tired of being ruled by GREED. Write to President Obama, write to your Congressional representatives, write to the Supreme Court. The poor get poorer while the rich and greedy become even more rich & greedy.

Write, e-mail, call. Make your voice heard.

This comment is from a Courtside website: "Then there was the juicy Pleasant Grove Park case. Pleasant Grove Park had posted the Ten Commandments and the Summum religion wanted their Seven Aphorisms posted there too. The Court ruled that the Ten Commandments were 'Government Speech' and you can't regulate 'Government Speech'." The government can say anything it wants to but we can't? Huh?

And one more to finish it off for today: It is from a blogger who writes about the Supreme Court. "jury members after his trial held a reunion and gave the judge in the case a present of genitalia-shaped chocolate. "The Supreme Court decided that if you are going to put someone to death, chocolate-shaped genitalia should not be involved."

So long

Comments

CuddleFish Feb. 9, 2010 @ 11:21 a.m.

Where in the world do you get this stuff from? MoveOn.org?

Freedom of speech means freedom of speech. Period. If you don't like what the lobbyists say to your politicians, oh well, they pay handsomely for the privilege. If you don't like what your politicians are doing in return for what they get from the lobbyists, work on the opposition's campaign. Democracy in America is a very simple system and while it is not perfect, it is better than the alternatives.

PistolPete Feb. 9, 2010 @ 1:52 p.m.

I totally agree with CF on this one. The ONLY people I hear or see bitching about the SCOTUS decision are Dems. Why? Democrats are usually broke, middle-class people who are broke because they give their money to off the wall causes. Republicans are usually rich, higher-class people who are rich because they know how to make more money.

Freedom of speech-He who has the most money, wins. Like CF said, it's not a perfect system but it is fair and it's the only one we have.

auntsandiegospeaks Feb. 9, 2010 @ 6:02 p.m.

PERFECT The point is to get people talking. I wrote this because I took a small, 'people on the street', survey and discovered that 100% of people I spoke to (including a few attorneys) did not even know about the Supreme Court decision. Some of them agree with you two! Add that to your egos! Some of them could not name their Congressional representatives. You see how this is going. I am an avid defender of Freedom of Speech, which is one reason I write, because I can. And I actually do so without any help from MoveOn!! I want people to wake up. US citizens (borne out by election numbers) have become complacent.
Again, thanks for reading.

CuddleFish Feb. 9, 2010 @ 6:28 p.m.

I knew about it. I can name the Supreme Court justices. I know who my Congressional representative is. I know who my City Council member is. I know who my County Supervisor is. I am not complacent. What in the world is your point?

CuddleFish Feb. 9, 2010 @ 10:37 p.m.

maninthemirror, you gave a longer, and fuller, explanation of exactly my thoughts and opinion on this matter. Including the Winston Churchill quote. I also was a Dem all my life until the last election. The most recent elections are proving out my wisdom. :)

PistolPete Feb. 10, 2010 @ 12:43 a.m.

You're the first that I've seen to go on record, maninthemirror. I buy you a beer in thought.

auntsandiegospeaks Feb. 11, 2010 @ 8:45 a.m.

OK guys, I have read the decision & understand most of it. I took one side of the debate and you jumped in on the other. I like to be contrary, it gets more response!

Cuddlefish, you are the exception, which is exactly my point. You read. You pay attention. But, you are one person & not like many others. Take your own, unscientific, poll and see how many people are as knowledgeable as you. Use that Wisdom!

maninthemirror, good to hear from you. As for Congress not representing the people, I vote & I hope that others do the same (election turn outs are abysmal). I disagree with you on the letter writing, e-mail, etc. I do think they help. Congressional leaders cannot talk to everyone.

PistolPete, not sure what you are "toasting" but a beer sounds good!

Thanks for reading