I sent this e-mail to our Mayor, City Councilman, SDPD homeless outreach and numerous others. I do not like what has become of this neighborhood:

Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 10:49 PM Subject: HOMELESS

I have been sitting in my apartment tonight trying to watch a movie. I have headphones and I can still hear the crap going on across the street. That would be the west side of 9th, south of E. The ladies at Rachel's night shelter are also listening to these folks. Someone may want to talk to them.

It is sort of like a block party, but there is one loud mouth that is almost constant. Then there are the arguments. Tonight several men were arguing about belongings.

This has become a situation out of control that is detrimentally affecting RESIDENTS of this neighborhood.

10:23, big mouth is arguing with someone again. They use such nice language, too. I know that the apartment manager here has talked to the police. I do not know what can be done. I do know something needs to be done.

This City is broke because of lousy management & pension fund shenanigans when they should have been handling the issues that affect PEOPLE.

WE THE PEOPLE. We NEED your help. We want our neighborhood back. The loud whistling, horn honking at all hours every night. There are also a couple of dogs that bark a lot.

THIS IS SERIOUS. I don't even leave my apartment, due to plain old FEAR.

I am asking that the City of San Diego protect its residents and restore the Quality of Life that existed prior to the huge influx of Homeless (about 6 months ago).

I await your collective responses.

<p>Auntsandiegospeaks@cox.net

Comments

SDaniels Nov. 9, 2009 @ 5:27 p.m.

Herr Doktor Burwell, we still await the appearance of your manifesto, posted in all its glory as a neighborhood blog, with special sections allotted for the homeless, social drinkers, jaywalkers, and welfare queens of all ilk!

It is cruel and unusual punishment to continue to tease your expectant pupils by publishing your wisdom in fragmented comments across this site. Please, Herr Doktor, please post "Burwell's Blurts" soon, so that we may begin our education in earnest.

jmtrudeau Nov. 7, 2009 @ 9:46 a.m.

All you need is a shovel and the desert.

CuddleFish Nov. 7, 2009 @ 10:23 a.m.

Here's my two cents:

If this is an issue bothering all the neighbors, then organize yourselves and work together to pressure the city.

If this is an issue bothering only yourself, then adjust or move.

Be advised that even if you do organize your neighbors, there is probably nothing the City can or will do. The homeless are a fact of life downtown. Even if they build a permanent shelter, some year, there will still be the ones who are out on the street, who will be rowdy and hard to live with. Downtown is a place where all noise is magnified and echoes due to the structures.

I would personally take the second option. Leave downtown to the people who can deal with that kind of living situation. I bet you won't believe me that there are people who don't mind living in 24 hour noise, filth, surrounded by homeless, hustlers and criminals. But there are, millions of them. They are called New Yorkers. :)

Burwell Nov. 8, 2009 @ 9:43 p.m.

The only agency of government equipped to deal with this situation is the military. The homeless should be rounded up and removed from urban areas and placed in prison camps for their own good and for the good of society. They should be forced to live alcohol and drug free lives under strict military discipline and provided with a regimen of forced physical labor.

Burwell Nov. 8, 2009 @ 9:48 p.m.

You should try the Fire Department. They could send a pumper out and rout these bums by hosing them down the street with a fire hose and a concentrated stream of high pressure water.