Let's talk about downtown San Diego. I have had an ongoing discussion with The Ivy hotel for over a year, regarding their rooftop bar. The problem is the LOUD music being played every Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights. Lots & lots of e-mails and phone calls and it is still a problem. Surprisingly, someone at Mayor Sanders office read one of my blogs wherein I wrote about this issue. Then I received a phone call from a City Attorney office investigator. Since then I have talked to a police officer who is involved in the bars/entertainment division. As I have stated before, I wanted to know who issues permits. Well, it is the SDPD. That surprised me. Now I want to know why such permits are issued to rooftop bars in areas where there are lots of residents. Hopefully, I will get that question answered.

Right now we live in a City of growing pains. A construction zone for over 10 years. Bring in people to live downtown. Build the Ballpark. But DO NOT THINK. Our government has been corrupt for years, now CCDC is under investigation. Heck, why not just close them down?? Do they really serve any purpose??

The City government, CCDC, Paradise in Progress, etc., have approved the massive overdevelopment of our once beautiful City. Now we are a City of highrises, mostly unoccupied. Just in the core & ballpark areas there are over 3000 condominiums. According to the website, downtownliving.org, there were 9000 new units in San Diego in 2008. Of those sold only 55% are owner occupied. BUT, there are plenty of new residents and plenty of voices that need to speak up. Rooftop bars are loud, annoying, irritating and a cause of sleep deprivation. There are currently 4 of these places downtown: Stingaree, JBar, The Ivy, Altitude (The ONLY one that is appropriate). The Ivy is 6 stories, Stingaree is maybe 3 stories, JBar is about 7 stories. EVERY one of these places should have their entertainment permits changed to state clearly NO MUSIC on rooftop. Confine all loud music to INSIDE. This is a quality of life issue for downtown residents. Rooftop bars are great as long as they are far above the level of residential buildings in the area.

I am urging ALL downtown residents in hearing distance of any of these rooftop bars, to please send an e-mail to our City Council (kevinfaulconer@sandiego.gov) & copy me. Working together, we can make the necessary changes in our City. Downtown living is great and it can be awful at times. Let's make it liveable.

So long

More like this:

Comments

Jay Allen Sanford Nov. 3, 2008 @ 1:08 a.m.

Interesting. I'm curious about a couple of things - is the music usually being performed live, or is it usually DJs/prerecorded? How close to the Ivy Hotel do you live? Finally, have you ever contacted noise abatement or someone else to come out and measure the dB sound levels? Anyone generating noise over the legal limit can be cited.

bgrahamt Nov. 3, 2008 @ 8:39 a.m.

I live on 9th and G, I can easily hear the IVY, some nights with my doors & windows closed.

It depends on your perspective when saying Altitude is the only appropriate rooftop bar. I recently visited and imagine the residents living next door at the legend are impacted by the noise.

I am a bit middle of the road with the whole issue, yes it's noisy.. but it's part of the experience living downtown. Should there be more rooftop bars? Probably not.

Jayallen does have a good point, noise abatement will come out and check the db levels, then cite the ivy for being too loud. This is the same reason Basic had to turn their music down.

auntsandiegospeaks Nov. 3, 2008 @ 10:35 p.m.

I have filed with Noise abatement. They have yet to make a determination. bgrahamt is probably right about Altitude. Almost forgot about the Legend. I also agree that it is a mixed bag. I have lived downtown for over 10 years and I LOVE it. It is just difficult to sleep when it sounds like the band (recording) is in the room with you.

Jayallen, the music is usually a DJ, but they do have occasional live bands.

My real goal is to see what the standards are and see about some sort of compromise. Maybe the volume should be turned down at 10 or 11. Now it is LOUD from 9 to 1:30.

It is a work in progress. I will keep you posted!

stevewag23 Nov. 4, 2008 @ 3:24 p.m.

auntsandiegospeaks,

I can appreciate your point.

Understand that downtown San Diego is a tourist draw and cracking down on the place will only hurt San Diego (which is already losing out on tourist dollars to LA, Las Vegas and Miami Beach in a big way.)

Keep in mind, that bars close at 1:30. That is very early. In more enlightened cultures, people don't start thinking of where they are going to eat dinner till 11pm. And clubs should close at 6am or later.

These places that you mention are only doing a trade on maybe 3 nights per week. San Diego is a "dead" town as far as nightlife goes.

If sleep is what your after, there are endless opportunities for a sleepy lifestyle in San Diego. Like 99.9999999999999999% of the county.

Don't worry though, with the Down Economy and San Diego's police state like crackdown of After hours clubs, smoking etc, these places will go out of business.

Especially Stingaree. That place is on Death Watch.

auntsandiegospeaks Nov. 5, 2008 @ 6:46 a.m.

Dear stevewag23. What negativity. I am only requesting a decrease in volume after 11 pm. Since you apparently do not like living here (police state????), why do you stay?

FYI, conventions are up, tourism is up and many people are visiting our fair city. Especially Europeans, since the dollar is down. I doubt that turning down the volume will make much difference in business. Let's try it and see.

I was at Stingaree the other night and it did not appear to need life support.

stevewag23 Nov. 5, 2008 @ 10:18 a.m.

"Since you apparently do not like living here (police state????), why do you stay?"

I live here part of the year. Most of the year I travel. San Diego is very dear to me and has so much unrealized potential. God blessed it, and the people have done nothing/ made it worse. Example: Name one Architectural Achievement in San Diego (not including the Coronado Bridge)?

"FYI, conventions are up, tourism is up and many people are visiting our fair city."

False. Read the San Diego Business Journal (typically a pro-San Diego Propaganda Machine, so you know if they write negative things about San Diego, its pretty bad).

"Especially Europeans, since the dollar is down."

Of course. They are the only ones spending money now. But because of San Diego's restrictive nightlife, you don't get the Jet Setting Europeans that spend $15,000 in a weekend here. They go to Miami Beach, LA, SF and Vegas.

"I was at Stingaree the other night and it did not appear to need life support."

Go on a Sunday, Monday, Tues, Wed and Most Thursday nights. Deader than Ghengis Khan.

"My suggestion is for you to "move it on out" to one of those places with more enlightened cultures."

Again, I travel a lot. Sounds like you need to get out and see the world a little too.

"My suggestion is for you to "move it on out" to one of those places with more enlightened cultures. Before you go, please fill us in on the details. Where are these cultures? Apparently they do not have to be at work in the morning hours as they are still partying at 6 am????? If dinner is at 11 pm, then breakfast is at noon??"

New York City Miami Beach Buenos Aires Budapest St. Tropez Goa, India Caracas Toronto Athens Las Vegas (although I wouldn't say it is more "enlightened" Barcelona Amsterdam Ibiza Moscow Rio de Janeiro

Just off the top of my head

Howeler Nov. 5, 2008 @ 11:03 a.m.

Why does one choose to live in a semi-major downtown area and then complain about noise? Sorry I don't get it.

You surely wouldn't like Manhattan!

A viable solution is as near as your local drug store: Ear plugs.

But I wouldn't worry too much about these roof top bars, as this down economy will take care of the whole "fake-exclusive-red-rope-$300-bottle-service-seeking-douche-bags"

Stevewag23 makes some valid points, in Spain one doesn't even think about going out till 11:00. They have something called siesta's.

The Spanish nightlife is an all-night affair - visitors to Spain are surprised to see the streets just starting to fill up at midnight and are even more surprised to see people in their 60s and 70s still out at 3am.

Perhaps a "bedroom community" is in your future.

onlyreasonable Nov. 9, 2008 @ 5:12 p.m.

Last night I called SDPD over the noise from the rooftop bar at Stingaree. I live 3 blocks away and the noise is so loud that my double pane windows can't block all of it. Evidently, the level of noise IS a violation of the law because I got a message back from a SDPD officer that he was asking them to turn down the music. He did not tell me that their permit allows them to be that loud. The music did not diminish so I will continue to pursue this. I also sent an email to Councilmember Faulconer to ask his help. I'm not optimistic, but if I can't sleep, then might as well try to stop it. If we are supposed to live with the noise level (as some here have suggested) then why is it a violation of the Municipal Code to generate that level of noise? Seems like the law should be overturned.