Starting today, the Department of Animal Services is waiving all adoption fees for dogs age 5 and older at San Diego's three county shelters. The fee waiver also applies to any dog who has been at the shelter for over 30 days.

For those wishing to adopt a puppy or younger dog, the usual low adoption fee of $69 applies.

Cat lovers need not dismay, however; the good news doesn't just apply to pooches. Cats age 6 months (yes, that's months) and older may be adopted with no fee as well.

For those seeking a younger pet, there's even a special on kittens. For your first kitten, the standard adoption fee of $58 applies. But right now, you can adopt a second kitten under 6 months for half price. It's called the "Better with a Buddy" program.

All pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated and microchipped. There is a limit of 2 new pets per household, and the specials continue until September 4.

There's never been a better time to add a 4-legged member to your family. All of the furry faces that are waiting to greet you may be seen at:

Comments

MsGrant June 10, 2010 @ 7:17 p.m.

Yay!! Thanks for getting the word out, anti!!

CuddleFish June 10, 2010 @ 7:29 p.m.

Awww, I hope they all find good homes, bless their paws.

SDaniels June 10, 2010 @ 11:15 p.m.

You are the Robin Hood of shelter and lost animals--nay, the patron saint! Move over St. Francis!

antigeekess June 11, 2010 @ 11:16 p.m.

Thanks, all. Look at this kitty.

Isn't he the mostest little lion you've ever SEEN? Look at that 'tude! I want him SO BAD!!!

humming Lion King theme

MsGrant June 12, 2010 @ 6:59 a.m.

I hope those babies find a sweet home. That little kitty is fierce, AG!! I am so glad someone rescued them.

MsGrant June 12, 2010 @ 10 a.m.

Hey, all, just wanted to give a shout-out to Project Wildlife. These are some very caring people who work seven days a week, caring for sick and injured wildlife. I just brought a bird in to them, a little sparrow, that appears to have flown into a window (blood was coming from its beak). They took the bird and are going to let me know how it does. Here is their website. I made a donation.

CuddleFish June 12, 2010 @ 12:07 p.m.

Project Wildlife is a great organization with amazing volunteers. :)

SurfPuppy619 June 12, 2010 @ 1:22 p.m.

I adopted a 14 y/o cocker spaniel 3 weeks ago, his fee was $120, PLUS I had to sign a waiver due to his age.

ALL seniors should be allowed free adoption, or reduced fee. I was going to adopt another senior, blind and had health problems, but the volunteer shelter employee was so rude when I raised the fee waiver I said forget it......

SurfPuppy619 June 12, 2010 @ 1:24 p.m.

BTW-my senior cocker "Sully" is one of the best dogs I have ever had. he is trained perfectly and has the best personality!

Fantastic dog-excellent choice. These dogs deserve a home their final years.

CuddleFish June 12, 2010 @ 1:50 p.m.

Awwww, go back and get another, SurfPuppy, since you were inclined to do it the first go-round, don't let rude employees discourage your kindness and generosity toward the wee beasts.

I am glad your dog worked out so well! :)

nan shartel June 12, 2010 @ 3:11 p.m.

puppy ur the bestest!!!!

and auntie G...that kitty is purrfect...love it...

i got my roscoe from a shelter in Washington state ...i got him free 'cause i was a senior...he was only 2 years old

a Westie Poodle mix and just a ball of energy!!!!!

i bring dog food to the shelter sometimes

antigeekess June 12, 2010 @ 5:22 p.m.

Puppy, like it says, puppies age 5 & over are FREE right now!

I'm curious where you managed to pay $120 for a senior dog. The regular fee for senior dogs at SD County Shelters is only $35.

Robert Johnston June 13, 2010 @ 6:18 a.m.

Is the fee waved at the North County shelters as well, or is it just in the City of San Diego?

If they waved the fees up here (O'side, Escondido, Encinitias), I might consider adding a new buddy (an indoor cat) to my life.

Something to think about...

--LPR

SurfPuppy619 June 13, 2010 @ 8:25 a.m.

I'm curious where you managed to pay $120 for a senior dog

Pasadena Human Society/Shelter

SurfPuppy619 June 13, 2010 @ 8:29 a.m.

I really am sad I didn't get "Princess", but the fact is one of the shelter volunteers took her and what is best for the dog is what counts-not what is best for me.

I am going to meet a girl at Noon/1PM today in Santa Monica who has a 14 y/o Pit Bull senior who I am going to "foster", assuming the meet and greet goes OK today.

Will report back.

CuddleFish June 13, 2010 @ 8:41 a.m.

Bless her paws, I am so glad Princess was adopted.

Good luck on your mission today.

MsGrant June 13, 2010 @ 10:12 a.m.

Me,too! Surfpuppy, I've got to say you have taken me by surprise. I know we have had our differences in the past, but I am starting to think maybe we have more in common than not. I'm starting to like you, ya big galoot.

nan shartel June 13, 2010 @ 12:33 p.m.

i always liked ya puppy my lad...hahaahahahaha

antigeekess June 13, 2010 @ 9:48 p.m.

Re #15:
It's all 3 of the county shelters, Robbie. The northernmost one is in Carlsbad.

Some of the cats we've really been pulling for are Dana, Mr. Miso, Miss Swan, Connie, Gretchen, and Maggie. Both I and a volunteer shelter worker up there named Amber have posted Craigslist ads for these particular cats.

The venerable Mr. Miso is the oldest cat at the shelter, at 12. He's been there quite a long time. He's got kind of a "Charlie Chan" thing going, don't you think? :)

Dana, on the other hand is much younger at 4, and is a beautiful little Burmese. You can tell by her low ID# that it's her second trip through the shelter, which sucks. I 'think' Amber might've said that her owner died. Not sure.

It appears to be Maggie's second trip through as well. Also, ANY black cat is going to have a hard time getting adopted.

You know, you ARE allowed to take 2 of them for free, Robbie. They're always better in pairs. :)

Robert Johnston June 14, 2010 @ 2:10 p.m.

Sorry, AG--my apartment's rather small, plus the "pet rent" is per-critter, w/o a "buddy discount." That reeks, but unlike TV, you cannot change the channel to suit your needs.

So, it looks like a trip to C'bad to check out the candidates! I'll have to hit up 511.com to get bus route times.

Thanks for turning me on to this, AG. :-)(-:

--LPR

MsGrant June 14, 2010 @ 4:55 p.m.

Good luck, Robbie. I hope you find your sweet kitty. They are such loves.

antigeekess June 14, 2010 @ 6:01 p.m.

Woo-hoo! Think about one of those longtimers, Robbie. They deserve a break! But of course, whichever one tells you s/he's yours is always the one...

We'll hope to see a furry face on your blog very soon!

two thumbclaws up

CuddleFish June 14, 2010 @ 6:20 p.m.

Just think, pretty soon maybe Robbie will be joining in our cat convo threads!!! :)

thestoryteller June 16, 2010 @ 12:46 a.m.

I got my "discount dog," Katie, from the Carlsbad shelter in 2005. She was $35. The best money I ever spent. She was the great love of my life, and even though we only had her with us for three years, she had more of an impact on me than anyone else ever has. She was about 12. Hers are the only ashes I've ever kept, and when I go down, we are going to together.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 15, 2010 @ 5:57 p.m.

================= They're family.