Tijuana moves, but never hurries.

Tijuana makes music,
makes mischief,
makes noise,
makes news,
makes sense,
makes nonsense,
makes no apologies,
and makes you feel welcome.

Tijuana makes do,
makes it work,
makes a hard life look easy,
makes u.s. look like a bunch of sissies.

Tijuana makes its point,
and makes you think twice.

Tijuana breathes in,
and then out a little longer.

Tijuana is a good place to breathe.

Comments

PistolPete Feb. 28, 2010 @ 12:10 a.m.

For some reason, the way this poem is spaced makes my computer Trig Palin...

SDaniels Feb. 28, 2010 @ 1:12 a.m.

Whaddup with the double Trig Palin ref? There is a "Trip" Palin, you know.

AG, did you write this poem? If so, I love it. If not, I love it, too. Octo-talent girl ;)

PistolPete Feb. 28, 2010 @ 1:22 a.m.

Trig Palin is the new retard. Instead of saying retard or retarded, I'll just refer to Trig Palin. :-D Thought it was pretty obvious, SD.

Origami_Astronaught Feb. 28, 2010 @ 2:29 a.m.

Beautiful! Standing alone, I might take issue with the last line, but it rings mysteriously true in this context. Awesome work!

SDaniels Feb. 28, 2010 @ 2:47 a.m.

re: #5: I thought my ironic reply about the name "Trip" was pretty obvious too, Petey. Chillax.

David Dodd Feb. 28, 2010 @ 5:25 a.m.

If Tijuana ever finds herself in need of a National Anthem, this is it.

antigeekess Feb. 28, 2010 @ 8:44 a.m.

Aw, thanks, guys. I'm especially pleased that you approve, refried, since it's your home. This had been marinating in my head for about a week, since I was down there. Wrote itself while I was walking around down there.

My impression was of a densely populated, busy pedestrian city, very alive and in motion but not rushed. I don't think I saw one person wearing a scowl on either day I went down there. People I asked for directions were friendly and eager to help, even though I speak minimal Spanish. The cab drivers were nice, and didn't try to charge me more than their normal fee.

In short, people related to each other decently. After living in California for the past 8 years, it was good to be in a place that seemed relaxed and psychologically "normal," for a change. People who speak back when you wish them a good morning, instead of giving you a hateful stare back or ignoring you altogether. Imagine that!

Things I was told about that I did NOT see: Children begging and selling Chiclets. No children begging at all, but I did see a number of adults, mostly older, peddling Chiclets. No overly aggressive vendors, although I did hear "Lady!" about 50 times a day, or sometimes, "Hey, come here." There was actually no one who was doing straight panhandling, which I encounter almost every time I go out of the house up here. At least down there, they all offered SOMETHING in return.

Also not seen: "Military with guns on every corner." A friend of a friend served up this large load of burro biscuits. I saw a couple guys in uniform (desert camouflage) with weapons at the border that I walked past. They looked like our Marines. I assume they were Border Patrol.

Funniest joke on the gringa: Those "U.S. Border 5 Mins" signs that direct you to the bridge nobody uses.

First sign: "U.S. Border 5 Mins" Five minutes later, only person on bridge: "U.S. Border 5 Mins" Another five minutes later, on other side: "U.S. Border 5 Mins"

Muy chistoso, Tijuana.

SDaniels Feb. 28, 2010 @ 1:09 p.m.

Yeah, those signs! Good point about being offered something in return. Though we did not have any sort of talk about what to expect, I am surprised you did not see any children selling Chiclets or just trying to get your attention generally. There are also children who strum on tiny, tinny-sounding guitars--a hasty, nontonal strum that sounds more like "Hurry up! Give me a dollar!" more than it sounds like a musical event. ;)

One thing that used to bother me a lot: There were club promoters trying to entice my mother and myself into clubs when we came to her dentist or mine, or to shop and lunch at Sanborns. I just don't get why these guys think a mother and daughter are going to want to go sit and watch a strip show or get shots poured down our throats together. But our ethnicity seemed to say we might...sigh.

MsGrant Feb. 28, 2010 @ 3:36 p.m.

I loved your poem, AG. How a city is perceived has much to do with attitude and little to do with reputation. Obviously yours is good - really good.

missionmom Feb. 28, 2010 @ 5:53 p.m.

why is pistol pete even allowed on this site? He's offensive, goes around calling an innocent child a retard and never has anything interesting to say. He's just a loser, looking for attention. go away pete.

CuddleFish Feb. 28, 2010 @ 6:22 p.m.

That troll has a lot of supporters here. Funny how they couldn't stand Board, who never to my knowledge ever used the N word, but tolerate someone who spews hatred (sound familiar? Oh yes, that's what's said about me.) about blacks, women, Mexicans, bike riders, and just about anybody else that slack little brain can think of to get attention.

PistolPete Feb. 28, 2010 @ 11:05 p.m.

Sorry ladies, someone needs to be the voice of reason on here. You two certainly aren't cutting the mustard in that department...

There's also that thing you two also love to hate. It's called the 1st Amendment. ;-D Might want to read up on your American history if you're not illegal and use the Constitution as your personal piece of Charmin.