Okaayyyy...

So for a while now, I've been saying that I wouldn't blog on the Reader's "Neighborhood Blogs" because I don't live in San Diego anymore. Like one of Josh Board's frequently identified and much maligned idiots, I left sunny SD a few years back to commune with nature in the mighty redwoods of Humboldt County. (More to come on my time as a cabin-dwelling, mall-deprived nature girl.)

So, imagine my surprise and delight when on this evening of blog winnahs and celebratory chicken dinnahs, I finally noticed the "Beyond San Diego" category. Hey, even the blindest and tardiest of squirrels eventually finds a nut sometimes.

I like that word -- "beyond." To Be Yonder. Good a place as any, I suppose. Irresistibly attractive to nomads and gypsies of all stripes and ethnic flavors. But where, exactly, is it? Is it simply the other side of the fence, over where that greener grass is, for example?

A couple of definitions offered online are:
1. being in that place or over there; being that or those over there: That road yonder is the one to take. 2. being the more distant or farther: yonder side.

Can you imagine if Pink Floyd had called their album, "The Yonder Side of the Moon?" Sounds like a truly bodacious bluegrass cover, to me. Hey, maybe that's the grass that was greener....No, wait. Now I'm totally confused.

This is what happens, when you're yonder. ;)

Comments

CuddleFish Oct. 1, 2009 @ 9:51 p.m.

OH YAAAAAY!!! I had so wanted to read a blog by you, AG!!!

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 9:53 p.m.

Lordy, Fish! You are QUICK!

Glad to have you as 1st comment. :)

David Dodd Oct. 1, 2009 @ 9:56 p.m.

Finally! Now, ma'am, I've been looking forward to some very lengthy stories from you for a loooong time :)

Can't wait for more!

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 9:58 p.m.

Did ya like that last line, gringo?

That was for you. Heehee.

David Dodd Oct. 1, 2009 @ 10:04 p.m.

Of course! It's probably the most universal truth ever. And it would be a damned shame if we didn't get to learn more about you simply because you left your San Diego roots for a while.

Oh yeah, YOU'LL be back someday ;)

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 10:32 p.m.

Damn. I thought my comment posted. :-(

Very nice poppin' of your cherry,AG. As a music aficionado and lover of all things Floyd,I'm lovin it!!! :-D

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 10:36 p.m.

One of my favorite Floyd tunes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCKvY... Interesting note about this song,it's been said by a member of Floyd that this was supposed to be a continuation of one of my other favorite Floyd tunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw...

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11 p.m.

Hey Pete -

(The sound and vid are WAY out of sync, but he's a good player.)

And then there's this, banjos and all.

CuddleFish Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:04 p.m.

You guys! Your pictures are so tiny, I can't seeeeee theeeeem! :(

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:13 p.m.

Great stuff AG! I LOVE bluegrass. Best new band I've seen in awhile is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-uxOi...

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:14 p.m.

To see all my pics(I have a bit more I need to get up) go here,Fish http://www.myspace.com/madmanpd

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:19 p.m.

Nothin' to see here, ma'am. Move along. :)

Let it be known that I do NOT like pictures of myself. That tiny thumbnail you're looking at from about 2 years ago is the closest thing to a "good" picture of me that's ever been taken.

School pictures, driver's license, student IDs, Polaroids, cell phone pics, you name it...they all have one thing in common. They are nooooooot going to win any beauty contests.

I'm not even kidding a little bit. I've had people refuse to believe my driver's license was me. But it's not just that one. Folks will look at any given picture of my apparently unphotographable mug, up at me, back down at it, up at me, and then, "Is this YOU?"

I'm kinda like a vampire that way. Or something.

I signed up at a dating agency once, back in the 90s. I noticed that the little chickie that was putting together my profile wrote B.I.P." under my picture.

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"Better in person," she replied.

;/

FullFlavorPike Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:29 p.m.

AG, yo, you like a wicked lot like an acquaintance of mine in Boston.

Rad of you to blog with us as we grow this community to something relevant and fresh. I'll try to comment like crazy on your posts, busy guy that I am, as I'm sure they're a gwine to be interestin' (drawl for bluegrass sake--I used to fiddle some and love them old time tunes).

FullFlavorPike Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:30 p.m.

^ you look a wicked lot...

Can we get an "Edit your Comments" button here, oh Masters of The Web?

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:32 p.m.

You're perfect AG! Smart and beautiful. As the old joke goes,you have any French in ya? Want some? :-D

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:34 p.m.

I'm probably the reason we can edit our comments. I swear ALOT to say the least ;-D They'd change it and I'd change it back....lol.

Besides,we get to see the proverbial booger on our noses with our typos :-D

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:38 p.m.

I've never heard typos equated with boogers before, Pete.

Yet another "unique" observation.

Heehee.

SDaniels Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:49 p.m.

"You're perfect AG! Smart and beautiful."

AHHHGGG. It is the apocalypse! Grab your chairs, everyone! PP said something-------------------NICE!

"Yonder" by itself. Does it ever sit by itself? You could be perverse and call this blog "Yonder."

Feelin' the LOVE tonight, peeps. Duh duh ding ding ding duh ding. "Yooouuu go to my head, and you whisper like a haunting refrain...."

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:50 p.m.

Thanks. When I say I'm the kind of guy you'd want on your side,I mean it. Most friends wouldn't say s* if you walked out of the house with your fly down or if you sneezed and there was a huge booger on your face. I enjoy pointing out other people's flaws. It makes me feel more humble. I figure if I let you walk around looking like an ahole,what kind of a friend am I?

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:52 p.m.

I throw a curve ball now and then,SD.

SDaniels Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:05 a.m.

Well, this is certainly a big curve, whether it be a learning curve or a fastball :) At any rate, I'm willin' ta play, and will always tell you if you have halitosis or if your Ro-tel dip is a bit salty :)

SDaniels Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:06 a.m.

PS: AG would be beautiful if she had three heads.

PistolPete Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:11 a.m.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA@ the Ro-tel dip being salty. I almost just pi**ed my pants. I need a quick smoke and to help get rid of this drought again. Here's a musical interlude for you all to enjoy while I'm away....

FullFlavorPike Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:20 a.m.

They were all right that the antigeekess (do you have a bell hooks thing going on there, AG?) is very beautiful.

I feel I should weigh in here, since you were all apparently trying to set us up on the premise of Holy Hand Grenades ;)

antigeekess Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:26 a.m.

Daniels suggested:

I might even do that, Daniels. I was trying to think of something to call it.

Maybee...

;)

David Dodd Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:30 a.m.

I like Antigeekess for a title. Or else, "mall-deprived nature girl". Both have a ring.

antigeekess Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:30 a.m.

Lordy, thanks for the compliments, all.

No comprende the "bell hooks" thingy, Pikey.

Hruh?

PistolPete Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:35 a.m.

I like Word Nerd for a title. It fits us,AG. :-D We're both lovers of a slowly dying form of basic,primitive communication.

antigeekess Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:35 a.m.

Refried weighed in:

"I like Antigeekess for a title. Or else, "mall-deprived nature girl".

Well, I thought about leaving it just as Antigeekess, since that's been my handle online for so long. As for "mall-deprived nature girl," that was only while in Humboldt. Now I live across the street from a mall. YAY!!!

"Both have a ring."

Nah, still single.

Speaking of Single, where the heck is she lately?

antigeekess Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:40 a.m.

"I like Word Nerd for a title."

"Diary of a Word Nerd Gone Mad?"

Nah, too wordy. :)

That fits Fish better than anybody else, I think, what with all her Scrabble-playing.

Or maybe Daniels, since she's always getting accused of using "big words."

And now, I MUST go to bed. I was going to try to be at work by 6:00 am. Fat chance.

'Nite, all. And "thank yew fer yer support."

;)

PistolPete Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:42 a.m.

See ya AG! I'll look for a new entry soon.

PistolPete Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:57 a.m.

Wierd. Never heard of bell hooks but she shares a birthday with my sister.

SDaniels Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:58 a.m.

Oh lordy, just need to post a couple of times to get these insanely long tags off the homepage!

FullFlavorPike Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:59 a.m.

It's a capitalization thing, SD, natch. We're all the same color (textual) in the virtual world.

antigeekess and bell hooks seem to share a capital letter allergy.

SDaniels Oct. 2, 2009 @ 12:59 a.m.

Testing testing.

Oh: bell hooks is a well-known academic, feminist, and theorist of gender, sex, and race. It is a safe bet that you would not like her work much, PP.

SDaniels Oct. 2, 2009 @ 1 a.m.

Only in the name, Pike. I think nan would be your girl for this analogy :) So where DID Pike study literary theory, I wonder...?

PistolPete Oct. 2, 2009 @ 1:02 a.m.

Not sure. I'm a feminist. There are things in this world that men do better but the reverse of that can be said of woman as well.

CuddleFish Oct. 2, 2009 @ 1:19 a.m.

Oh that is so cool, refried, thank you for that link!

What will they think of next?

nan shartel Oct. 2, 2009 @ 10:33 a.m.

i'm one of the many who came by to congratulate u and smell the wood stove smoke curling around and about u in Humboldt county

i hope we can become friends ...and Pink Floyd...Long Beach Memorial Stadium in the 70'S...w00t!!!

FullFlavorPike Oct. 2, 2009 @ 11:33 a.m.

^^^^^ I just meant within the confines of AG's name. That is it Very small joke, nothing more :)

nan has way more in common with e.e. cummings as far as capitalization is concerned!

FullFlavorPike Oct. 2, 2009 @ 2:14 p.m.

Oh yeah, SD, you want to know where I got exposed to all that theory? In college, of course, getting a degree in Lit. and Writing.

Me and all my cook friends used to joke that English majors make the best cooks. The last good restaurant I was at had me (theory nut) as pastry sous, The Toastmaster (a modern poetry scholar who has since gone off to get his doctorate in Chicago) working garde manger, and the sous chef (a renaissance poetry type). There were more English majors in that kitchen than culinary school graduates. We made REALLY GOOD FOOD, too.

SDaniels Oct. 3, 2009 @ 7 a.m.

Pike announced: "We made REALLY GOOD FOOD, too."

I believe you! It would be fun to hear what dishes you've worked on lately, and if you watch Top Chef, and if you like food writing, like MFK Fisher, and if you--most importantly--agree that the word 'deconstruction' really doesn't belong in the food world...

FullFlavorPike Oct. 3, 2009 @ 4:31 p.m.

I outright cringe every time someone separates a salad into little piles and calls it "deconstructed." Wildly inappropriate, that.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 6, 2009 @ 12:12 a.m.

Snarf: To conspicuously grab a post with a relevant number. E.g. #50 is a "Half Century," a term I borrow from cycling (the 100 mile century ride)

nan shartel Nov. 1, 2009 @ 8:23 p.m.

i found u i found u!!!

thx for all ur deliocioso input tonite AntiG...u brought the sauce for that spagetti alright!!!!

antigeekess Nov. 2, 2009 @ 7:16 p.m.

Nanners! You did find me, didn't you? Yippee!!!

SDaniels Nov. 2, 2009 @ 9:54 p.m.

nanners, you found her @ #45, too. With a beautiful image I could not forget!

But! How on earth did I forget that you found my blogs too--you linked my 9/11 story to your fave Canada Web site. Btw, were there any interesting comments on it, nan? Lemme know if you get a chance :)

By nan 10:33 a.m., Oct 2, 2009 > Report it