Barnaby Monk 1 p.m., April 23
Mt. Helix shooter's son: "Why would my Daddy make me into local TV news fodder?"
"The abandonment, the abuse of Mom, the drinking - it was all terrible. But this?"
"Michelle Silva is left with the difficult task of explaining to 11-year-old Alex why his father had to die," began an NBC 7 video report on the Mt. Helix SWAT team standoff that ended yesterday with the apparent suicide of Alex's father, Lionel Silva.
"Just thinking in my mind what could have happened if he wasn't drinking," said Alex. "Maybe he would have thought about what he was leaving behind. Maybe he would have thought about hordes of ghoulish monsters with cameras descending on a traumatized 11-year-old boy in search of a tearjerker soundbite. Oh God, why would he do this to me? I'm just a kid."
More like this:
- Sheriff's Department Spokesman insists communication was impossible with Mt. Helix shooter — Sept. 4, 2013
- Penning Teller: An interview with the spectacular Miles Teller — Aug. 19, 2013
- 32 years ago this weekend - John Lennon's death: Where were YOU?? — Dec. 8, 2012
- RIP John Lennon 12-8-1980: We asked local & nat'l celebs “Where were you?” — Dec. 8, 2011
- The Collector — June 15, 2000