Robert Bush 5 p.m., Jan. 23
Is sealpunching the new bumfighting?
Videos of abuse at La Jolla Children's Pool selling for $100 on underground websites
Scene from Sealpunch III: Pound Puppies, available at internetgloryhole.com
"Discover the hot sealpunching action that the government doesn't want you to see!" reads the ad for the red-hot Sealpunch series of videos. The line is a reference to Mayor Filner's emergency order to close the beach at the La Jolla Children's Pool from sunset to sunrise in wake of the practice's discovery.
Animal rights advocates have lauded Filner's decision, but critics warn that the move could increase demand for "animal-bang" videos. "People love what is forbidden," says Simon Quilt, head of the San Diego Animal Lovers League, "and these days, it's hard to find something that isn't widely available on the internet. If you try to shut it down, you risk glamorizing it further. I just hope we don't start seeing a rise in Cat Juggling or Sumo Panda."
More like this:
- Maxed out? — June 12, 2013
- Leaked photos reveal scope of Romney's La Jolla remodel — March 4, 2013
- Bob Filner Rips City Hall at U-T San Diego Protest Rally Against Padres Cable Blackout — July 23, 2012
- La Jolla: Sun, Sand, Surf, and Sh*t — Jan. 18, 2012
- Unnecessary Seal Harassment — Nov. 26, 2003