Derek Ray 7:41 p.m., March 13
Hasta La Vista, Chicano Park?
Following report that Coronado Bridge is "structurally deficient," City announces plan to replace "outdated, crumbling supports"
City Planner Bill Whiteman: "Those murals are great and all, but all the pretty paint in the world can't cover over our responsibility to keep users of the Coronado bridge as safe as possible. Transportation for America rated our bridge as "structurally deficient," and I'll be an ignorant Yankee if I'm going to stand by and watch our greatest landmark crumble. If the artists in question wanted to create a more permanent display, perhaps they should have done their painting somewhere else. Frankly, we should have done this 20 years ago."
More like this:
- Why you should vote for Bruce Coons for San Diego mayor — Sept. 26, 2013
- Walter Mencken's Almost Factual Christmas gift recommendations #2 — Dec. 7, 2012
- Original Artists Work to Restore Chicano Park Murals — July 4, 2012
- Soon There Won't Be a Barrio Logan — Sept. 30, 2009
- Drive to the Sky — March 16, 2000