Ken Harrison 3:30 p.m., Feb. 9
Atheist advocacy billboard goes up in Encinitas
Something to cheer you up during your afternoon commute?
The San Diego Coalition of Reason, a collection of local groups of non-theists and church-state separation activists, has teamed up with American Atheists, a national organization, to purchase ad space on a billboard along Interstate 5 in North County.
“With many of our previous billboards, we've made it a point to challenge traditional religion. But this time we want to show the other side of our coin, that atheism is a breath of fresh air,” said American Atheists president David Silverman in a joint release. "It's wonderfully freeing to remember that we're all headed for a hole in the ground and endless oblivion. I also wanted to show that atheists are not a bunch of humorless jerks. Did you see how I slipped in a joke about the idea of a personal relationship, when the very notion of 'person' indicates nothing more than a bunch of neurochemical reactions? We're all just bone and meat! Ha ha!"
More like this:
- Atheist advocacy billboard erected in Lemon Grove — Jan. 31, 2013
- Mural furor: ACLU nay-saying MLK praying — Nov. 20, 2012
- SDQT National Edition: President Obama reverses position on HHS mandate — Oct. 4, 2012
- Atheists Propose Alternative to Camp Pendleton Cross — Dec. 28, 2011
- They Laugh at a $1000 Fine — Feb. 21, 2002