Ian Anderson 6:30 p.m., April 27
New Chargers coach Mike "Real" McCoy: "Moving to San Diego is the opportunity of a lifetime."
"I love this town!"
Mike McCoy has always wanted to live in San Diego. And why not? Between the weather, Sea World, the beaches, Legoland, and that one taco joint that only you and your friends seem to know about, it's America's Finest City! In fact, he would have come here years ago, but for the longest time, "it seemed like there just wasn't a demand for football coaches in San Diego," he recalls. "I didn't really know how to do anything else, so I figured I was stuck in Denver - or maybe Philly."
But now that he's finally found someone here who's willing to give him a paycheck, his dreams are finally going to come true.
According to the USA Today, "The McCoy family spent the Broncos' bye week in 2011 in San Diego and took their son and daughter to Sea World. McCoy has kept a picture of his kids posing with dolphins in his office at Broncos headquarters ever since. 'I mentioned to her last night, "Remember this great day we had? That's where we're going,"' McCoy said.'She had no hesitation, and the kids, too. Once they saw that, remembered that great weekend we spent here last year, it's going to be an easy transition.'"
His only concern? "San Diegans don't really seem to give a hoot about football. They had what, four home games blacked out last season? That's a lot of unsold tickets. Not that I blame them - why go watch football when you could go have a picnic with your kids on Mission Bay for free? Stil, it makes me wonder about the stability of my job. I've even started to worry that the team's ownership might be considering a move to another town. That would be terrible. The only reason - I mean the only reason - I'm working for the Chargers is because I love San Diego. I don't want my children growing up into snot-nosed Angelenos."
More like this:
- Chargers Coach McCoy: "The City of San Diego doesn't much care for losers, but what they really hate are winners." — Nov. 14, 2013
- 2013 Chargers draft report — April 29, 2013
- Breaking! New Chargers coach "Mike McCoy" revealed to be Chargers counsel Mark Fabiani — Jan. 30, 2013
- Coach Turner Promises Miracle Turnaround for His Fantasy Football Team — Nov. 22, 2011
- Chargers Coach Norv Turner: "I'm The Only Trickster God This Team Needs, Thank You Very Much." — Sept. 19, 2011